how old do you have to be to get your tubes tied?

im 23 and have a two month old son. i know for sure that i don't want anymore kids. i have heard that doctors won't tie your tubes unless you have had three or four kids. which i think is unfair. if you don't want anymore kids you should be able to make that choice. i know there is birth control but having your tubes tied works better. does anyone know how old you have to be? or the requirements? how much does it cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was 24, and had just had my second child. I would like to caution you, though. I was positive I didn't want any more kids. But, I ended up divorced, and I met the guy I am with now. Now, I am thinking about checking into a reversal b/c I would like to have a child with him someday. I also found some info that says that when you are younger, that sometimes your body heals itself, making the tubal less effective (not by much, a very small percentage), so those are things to think about too. I'm not trying to change your mind or talk you out of it, just think about it very hard before you make a firm decision.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• where i live it used to be by the age 24 or atleast 2 kids...whichever came first
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i think! i'm not for sure though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I don't really know, however, I wonder whether age is the issue or your certainty? I had my tubes tied after my third child, a girl after two boys, was born. My insurance paid 100%. (Note: most insurance companies pay 100% for sterilization). I remember just before I went into surgery, my doctor came to ask me if I was 100% sure. I grabbed him by his chest hairs and told him "Hell yeah. I don't want anymore." Prior to my daughter's birth, I'd told him that I was 70% certain but it would be nice to have a girl. LOL
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I was 25 had 2 DD's. But I had to hound my doctor for a year to get him to do it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You can have it done at 21. That's when they allow it here anyhow. I wanted to have my tubes tied and coiled with my 2nd child which I am 22. The doctor was in agreement but he wanted me to really think about my decision. I was SO positive I wanted it done. But now I am thankful I did my research on it, and who knows maybe another 4-5 years down the road my husband and I may possibly want one more child!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• nationwide-21 most surgeons will not until a woman is 25. many reasons... before you even THINK about it, you should read THIS

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure of the age limit. But if I were you I would wait a while. You never know how you might change a year, 5 years or even 10 years down the road. Just take your time.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Here in California I know most doctors wont do it until a woman is at least 25yrs old or has at least 3 kids, but I think it depends on the doctor. Try an IUD if you can't find a doctor that will do it this young, they will last until you meet the age requirements & give you 5yrs to make sure you are 100% about being without more children.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2010