Do you cook? What do you give your kids for breakfast? lunch? dinner?

what is your schedule like? Anything that you do to make cooking and meal preparation easier?

I just popped in the oven the bbq ribs that was marinated last new year's eve. I bought big ribs, marinated the whole thing but only used half of it and froze the other half. It will be ready once the kids gets home from school and just in time for dinner.

On days that I don't feel like cooking, we order food delivery.

Lavander

Asked by Lavander at 8:01 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• crockpots are great! you can do steel cut oatmeal in there over night, or put some kind of meat in there in the morning and have it cook all day.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I cook all the time. Maybe not big fancy stuff all the time, but we don't do take-out - there's isn't any in this town.
    Anonymous

• Well I think preparation would depend on the age of your kids and the size of your family. Right now its just me and my daughter.
    B - pancakes and fruit, or cereal and fruit, oatmeal and fruit or something simple. I normally only do big breakfast on weekends.

L - PB&J, tuna salad sandwich and fruit, chicken salad sandwich and fruit or chicken salad and crackers. Ravioli and salad, chicken nuggets, string beans, and fruit. Always something simple.
    If you have left over bake chicken or something cut it up and make chicken salad.

D - meat, starch and veggie and fruit for my daughter. I also take the meat out in the morning so when its time for dinner its already thawed out. Starch could be anything - rice, mashed potato, fried potato, stuffing or something. Veggie, usually frozen veggies that I steam
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• depends on the mood what's for breakfast. usually cereal and toast, or oatmeal

lunch is bagged for school for the older 2, and youngest loves grilled cheese and soup.

dinner I start at 4 and have on the table at 5. its different every night - menu planned on a 4 week rotation. meat, veg or fruit and a starch.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• B- he eats cereal, poptarts, toaster struedel.
    L- whatever school is serving...we get free lunches. When he is home it is pizza, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, soup, mac and cheese.
    D-chicken, salsibury steak, hamburger helper...whatever I am in the mood to make or whatever my mom makes (when he is there when I have night classes.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I used to cook a lot more when the kids were little and willing to eat what I cooked. I used to enjoy but I only cook a few times a week now. No matter what I cook someone complains and refuses to eat and I get fed up. I rarely make breakfast. The kids get their own food (did make oatmeal today because we are out of cereal and almost out of bread). And I don't usually make lunch either. They all get their own sandwiches when they are home.
    Tonight we had chicken stir fry for dinner. The other night we had chicken and stuffing skillet. No other plans for the rest of the week. I didn't think the stir fry would be such a hit. There was only one helping left (lunch for me tomorrow).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• During the week, breakfasts are portable: burrito; whole grain toast with egg, cheese, and fake-on; whole grain pancake or waffle (cooked and frozen on weekends) with peanut butter and banana.
    Weekday lunches are usually a thermos with over or a hummus and veggie wrap.
    Weeknight dinners rarely take more than 20 minutes: I keep lots of chopped vegetables in the freezer; on the weekends I cook and freeze rice, soup, beans, chili, sloppy joes, etc.; I cook pasta after dinner to be used in the next couple of nights.
    Here are some typical dinners at our house; send me a message offlist if you would like any recipes:
    no hurry curry
    tofu fish sticks, not crab cakes, sweet potato fries
    lentil sloppy joes
    stuffed peppers
    sweet and sour cabbage rolls
    chili and cornbread
    lasagna
    lentil soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
    black bean soup and quesadillas
    fondue night
    white chili
    taco salad and nachos
    brea

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• it's great to know what other households are having. thanks!
    Lavander

Answer by Lavander at 9:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Breakfast....whatever is in the fridge, leftovers, pb and j, sometimes eggs, sometimes cereal.

Lunch.....again whatever......could be leftovers, coud be spagettieo's, Just whatever we have and he wants.

Dinner....normally a meat, starch, and veggie. Always the same.
    Anonymous