When to introduce finger foods?

My DS is 8 months old. He tries to feed himself with the spoon not sure if that matters. When is a good time to introduce finger foods and what types to start with? I know im going to eventually have to but I am scared to death of him choking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• now is a good time to give him gerber puffs or cheerios. just put 1 on his tray at a time to minimize the risk of choking, although puffs melt in the mouth immediately.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We started around 5-6 months - dry toast at fist, something they can gum & not choke on. I liked the gerber puffs too (but bought the wal-mart brand cause they were LOTS cheaper).
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i used to give my daughter the puffs and cheerios when she was that age. Also if you give food like cheese or something cut it in slices instead of diced.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My dd is 10 months old now and has refused (from day one! ) to eat baby food! lol. So I gave her a couple cheerios..and she took to it very well. Then I got her those plain/unsalted rice cakes. After she seemed to do really good with these things I just started chopping up whatever we ate into really small peices and gave it to her. She was about 7/8 months old when I started with the cheerios. I too had that chiking fear..and Lord knows I still do..matter of fact I think I cut her stuff up too small, lol. Oh well.
    Anonymous

• try a piece of banana, they are soft and get really mushy. My little girl loves bananas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2010