Breastfeeding & dieting

Is it ok to diet while breastfeeding? I want to start the Special K diet after my baby is born next week but I'm also going to be exclusively breastfeeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are putting yourself on the gain/lose rollercoaster; hard on your body and frustrating. To get to and maintain a healthy weight, and set a great example for your kids, you need a healthy lifestyle.
    I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Nope, you need to keep up with a normal diet, good healthy things, but don't drop down to the Special K one if you'll be EBF - it's just not enough calories or proper nutrition to pass to your newborn. You need to keep eating like you're still pregnant, you need at least 500 extra calories a day to ebf a baby.
    Anonymous

• I would definitely not try that right after your baby is born, I think it will definitely affect milk production. After your 6 week recovery time, I'd try weight watchers, you can specifically put in your profile that you are bfing and they will calculate the correct points for safe weight loss. I assume they will do this for you at meetings too, but I just use WW online.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010