If you are anti-circ... did you pierce your daughters ears??

I keep reading posts where moms with intact sons claim that circumcising is a completely useless medical procedure preformed simply for appearances...

And then read other posts where some of these same women pierce their little girls ears...

Either you are okay with causing pain for looks or you aren't...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• to circ or not to circ ..... personal choice for anyone and one I leave up to dad. As for my dd ears, they are pierced and it was her decision to do so. But is it fair to compare ear cartilidge to a foreskin?? I roll my eyes everytime I see an infant with earrings. I feel that should be the child's choice when they are old enough to take care of it themselves.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i did not circumcise my boys. It was actually more my husband's decision. The main thing i was worried about was what people would think, like in the locker room. I was not fond of the idea of possibly hurting my babies. I have one daughter. We thought she would be very pretty with pierced ears, but neither my husband or I could bear the thought of being with her while getting pierced, so we didn't do it.
    3/4 of my kids were tongue tied and i was there for that. Nobody seemed to feel the pain, there wasn't always blood either.
    do baby boys cry when they get circumcised?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I don't circ and I don't pierce my little girls ears. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I am a nurse who assists on circs in the hospital. 99% of the babies sleep through their circumcisions. A local anesthetic is given to the baby. There is no local anesthetic given when piecing a babies ears. Piercing a girls ears is asking for infection. Circing a boy is asking to prevent infection. Apples and oranges really. People just want to be "different" these days and make a big fuss over everything. Circumcising is a normal everyday medical event that can help prevent illness and the spread of disease. It is not cosmetic. Earrings truly are cosmetic. People who try to say that earrings on a baby are okay but circing isn't are the biggest morons this world has to offer.

Anonymous

• ---yep, what she said!!!!

I am a nurse who assists on circs in the hospital. 99% of the babies sleep through their circumcisions. A local anesthetic is given to the baby. There is no local anesthetic given when piecing a babies ears. Piercing a girls ears is asking for infection. Circing a boy is asking to prevent infection. Apples and oranges really. People just want to be "different" these days and make a big fuss over everything. Circumcising is a normal everyday medical event that can help prevent illness and the spread of disease. It is not cosmetic. Earrings truly are cosmetic. People who try to say that earrings on a baby are okay but circing isn't are the biggest morons this world has to offer.
    Anonymous

• my son is not- but mostly because we didn't have the 100 bucks and could not borrow it from anywhere- though on was not big on inflicting pain either ...
    my daughter made the decision on her own to get her ears pierced at the age of 14. I would not have it done for her before she could decide
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:17 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I don't believe in circumcision and I don't believe in piercing little girls' ears either. Their bodies, their choices.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I wouldnt pierce a girls ears but i would for sure circ my boy! circumcision is for HEALTH purposes. The government was even talking about making it mandatory to help slow the spread of diseases ect.. altho that will never fly..
    My personal, and my husbands, preferences are to do the circumcision.. my husband was and said he has NO Memory whatsover of it.. so why not!?
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Wow how ignorant are people in the medical field? I don't think you research anything yourself ,you just know what you were taught in  school. Just like Docs....they just drink the kool aid on what they have been taught and have no idea that there are other routes to take with anything.. Saying that circumcision is for health reasons is a bunch of bull. Some babies may not feel their circumcision when they get it but they sure feel the throbbing pain when the medicine wears out! Oh but wait you probably don't relate the babies screaming to that now would ya?

Anonymous

• oh and no I don't circumcise my boys and my 9 year old daughter asked for her ears to be pierced...we did not want to do that without her permission.

Anonymous