do you think the salmon is still good?

Does anyone know how long salmon lasts in the freezer for? I believe its been in the freezer since the end of november (like november 28) because the sale date was nov 28th and it was bought fresh, so I know freezing it will make it last longer, but how long? I took it out and let it sit to defrost to put in the oven and it smelled fishy, but salmon normally smells that way right? I'm pregnant so everything smells more extreme

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes it does, salmon and tuna have a strong smell to it. Because you froze it, it should be good, but leaving it out to thaw, I really don't know. Seafood I thaw in water or in the fridge, so it stays cold the whole time. If it stayed cold, it should be fine..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It is fine, unless it is all white it is fine. It will be a little less flaky from being frozen. We catch all of our salmon for the year in July and it lasts years if packaged correctly. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I've always heard that salmon should NOT smell fishy but if its just a mild smell I think it might be okay it was probably just getting close to the end of its "shelf life" at the grocery store when you bought it which is true with a lot of meat sales. Did you buy it and freeze it that same day? Did you thaw it on the counter or in the refrigerator?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Here is some info I just looked up that may help you:
    Quality salmon is easy to recognize. Fresh salmon never smells fishy, it smells fresh. The eyes should appear bright and clear, almost alive. The gills should be reddish, and the skin moist and with tightly adhering, shiny scales. Fresh salmon flesh will give slightly when you press it with a finger, then spring back into shape. When choosing salmon steaks or fillets, whether they’re fresh or previously frozen, look for moist, translucent (never dried out) flesh.

Keep salmon cool on the trip from the market to your house. Never let it stay unrefrigerated for long.

To store salmon, remove packaging, rinse fish under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Fish deteriorates when it sits in its own juices, so place it on a cake rack in a shallow pan filled with crushed ice. Cover with cling wrap or foil and set in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
    AprilDJC

• Salmon will store well this way for up to two days.

When well-wrapped, salmon can be frozen for up to two months in a refrigerator and three to four months in a deep-freeze. Use lined freezer paper and wrap the fish tightly from head to tail with at least two layers of paper. To thaw slowly, unwrap, place fish in pan, cover, and leave for 24 hours in the refrigerator. To thaw more quickly, place the whole fish in a sink (in a waterproof plastic bag) with cool running water, allowing about 1/2 hour per pound (about 450g). For fastest thawing, use the defrost cycle of your microwave, allowing 2 to 5 minutes per pound (about 450g), with equal standing time in between zaps.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2010