Did having a baby effect your immune system?

Before I got pregnant, I would get sick about once a year. I can't even count how many times I've gotten sick since giving birth. I'm 7.5 months pp and I'm not sure if my body is still recovering or if I'm just not taking care of myself as well as I used to. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 9:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

• WAS NEVER ALERGIC TO POISON IVY UNTIL AFTER I HAD THE TWINS LOL SOUNDS WEIRD BUT ITS TRUE. YOU ARE PROBABLY MORE TIRED WITH THE BABY THATS ALL TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOURSELF, REST WHEN THE BABY SLEEPS, EAT HEALTHY AND GET SOME SLEEP. GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You might still be adjusting. If anything my immune system is so much better. I havnt had strep throat or the flu. Usually I would get strep atleast twice a year. If I do get a cold or something like that it goes away in a couple of days.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I got sick a lot right after having my daughter and I rarely got sick before...I attributed it to lack of sleep (nighttime breast feedings...at least 3x a night) affecting my immune system. I got back on track when she was about 1.
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 9:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Neither my DS or myself has even had a cold since he was born (knock on wood) and he's now 5 months old. Before I got pregnant I was sick pretty often actually but that could have been because I was in college and was sharing drinks with everyone and was around people all the time. When I got pregnant I think I had maybe 1 or 2 colds and that was it. I don't know if I haven't been sick post-partum because of my immune system or for the sheer fact that I have hardly gone out in public or been around large numbers of ppl.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Have you tried vitamins? The company I work for has a vitamin line that I am currently taking and I am in the same boat your in. I have to say its working and I am not as lethargic nor sick anymore. They have a lot of different vitamins that would work for you. There is a vitamin that will boost your immune system. a daily vitamin, mood vitamin and I could go on. Email me through cafe mom if your interested. It works.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2010