What does your church say about tattoos?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• we dont put tattoos on our bodies.

Leviticus 19:28 (King James Version)

28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My Dad says that God is against it because your body is the temple of the Lord and shouldn't mark up your body. I have no problem with them whatsoever and they do not interfere with my religious beliefs, but I do not have a tattoo simply cuz I don't want to have one.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It is your choice.. just when you do it make sure it honors God...
    that scripture above talks about FOR THE DEAD .... most people do not put tattoos on for that reason.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Hmmm, interesting. My VERY religious cousins and father all have tattoos. Guess their interpretation is different.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Hmmm... I think the above scripture talks about for the dead, as Shaneagle said. They way I was taught was that our Heavenly (glorified) body is not going to be the same as our worldly body. If that's the case, I don't think a few tasteful tattoos will be harmful. We want to respect our bodies because they do house our soul, but some people do go a bit overboard in making sure it is 'unharmed'. There are plenty of people at my church that have tattoos (including myself).

Anonymous

• It is okay to have tattoos. I have 5.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• just because some christians have tattoos, it doesnt mean that it's ok. That just means that not everyone follows the bible the way it should be and that's not just about tattoos, that goes for everything else. Like there are plenty of christian alcoholics or there are strippers that say they are christian.
    Anonymous

• Lev. 19:28 is part of the ritual law specific to the Old Testament. It was probably intended to separate Israel from its Canaanite neighbors; some believe that the cuttings in the flesh and tattoo marks to which the verse refers were part of idolatrous Canaanite worship.

So the Catholic Church says tattoos and acts of body piercing are not intrinsically evil. They do give some general guidelines. People considering tattoes should ask themselves questions like Does this particular act of tattooing involve a risk to my health? Is the explicit (and implicit) message of my tattoo compatible with love of God and neighbor? If I am under the authority of my parents, would this act be an act of disobedience that would violate the Fourth Commandment? Is the expense involved be justified in light of the needs of my family, the Church, and the poor?
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• our body is a temple and we shouldn't. but my church also talks about agency. i want my tattoo so i'll be getting it. my choice and I'll take the consequences.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 10:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I am a christian and i have 2 tattoos and the way that I see it is it's your own conviction. Those Leviticus scriptures were the OLD testament. it was used in the days of Jesus and does not apply to us today if it did then that would mean we would have to offer up a living sacrafice ( such as a lamb etc.) to cleanse us from our daily sin when we don't have to do that all we do now is pray and ask for forgiveness. so in my opinion if you feel that tattoos are not wrong then they aren't
    Anonymous