Neighbors with barking dogs... What to do?

Our neighbors recently got four large dogs that are barking constantly from dawn to late at night. We don't know them (the neighbors) but lots of people live in the house.

I am thinking of writing them a note.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• call the police, they can talk to them for you, and they don't have to know it was you, just that it was a complaint. maybe they will get the idea
    Anonymous

• Does you town have "quiet hours" or something like that? Most towns have restrictions on the amount of noise allowed after certain hours, like between 10 pm and 6 am, and the dogs owner's can get a ticket for not keeping the dogs quiet. How they do it is their problem. Maybe taking the poor things inside, out of the cold at night would help.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• During the day there isn't anything you can do. Most noise ordinances after like 9pm. So you could check that out. and if they are barking after that time you can call the police.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree. Check out your local laws regarding noise ordinances and barking dog laws. Ours is rather odd here. The dog must not bark incessantly if the owners are not home (regardless of hours), but if owner is home they consider it 'protection' barking and is permitted no matter how annoying. I don't get it personally. My doggies sleep inside. : )
    Anonymous

• Our township has a noise ordinance. After the third month of CONSTANT barking from the husky behind us who is ALWAYS outside on a 4 ft lead I called the police and filed a noise complaint. Guess what? It stopped for a while! I am a dog lover and owner and believe that dogs should be given a chance to bark & voice themselves... but when it is in all hours of the day and night, that's a little much. We thought she was being neglected too, so I had no qualms with calling. I bring our dog in after a minute or so of barking. I don't want her to be a nuisance!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It doesn't have to be about noise ordinances or time of day. Are these dogs outside? Either way; call your local county animal control center and tell them; they will tell you if they can come out to investigate that the animals are being cared for properly; if they were they shouldn't be barking like that; or as in my town when I called to report a similar situation; they'll tell you that you need one or two or however many other neighbors to also file a complaint etc.,..
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• After the neighbors admitted to me that they didn't know how to train their dogs to be quiet, I offered to teach the dogs for them. They agreed, so I got one of those high powered water guns, filled it with water and would shoot the dogs and tell them "Quiet" when they barked more than 10 minutes and nothing was out there. It took 3 weeks to train them, but I got them trained. I was friends with the neighbors, though, so this may not be an option for you.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 11:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• i would not leave a note--could cause you trouble, since so many people live there and if the dogs are keeping you awake they must be keeping them awake. call your local spca they will investigate to make sure the dogs are being taken care of. if that does not work most cities have noise laws so you can call the police (not 911). good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Call the cops or animal control. Don't even attempt to contact the people yourself, just go straight to the authorities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Call the animal control. I have the same problem with my neighbor's dog as well. He will bark right when I lay down as if he is trained to do it. Also I had another neighbor who let her dog out only to poop in my yard, then the creep go back home.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2010