When not to wear your wedding ring?

DH and I finally got rings :) Neither of us wear jewelry often and these are pretty important so we need to know the dos and don'ts. He asked if he should take it off to wash his hands. I'm thinking having it off near an open drain with running water is the best way to lose it though. I'm not sure if it'd be an issue since his is so thick wide. Mine is very small and thin. 3&1/2 was too small for comfort so I got a 4 but it's a tad loose. Would showering with it be risky even if it doesn't have a diamond to get caught in my hair? Are there any other rules we need to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I take mine off to shower, wash dishes, clean bathrooms, etc. Pick a place AWAY from the water, I use the top of the dresser as the one place you can always find it. This helps it not fall in the sink & you're not running around trying to figure out where you left it when you're trying to leave the house.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Well, I always wear mine except when I go to sleep. I just don't want to scratch myself or DH when I am sleeping.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My DH and I gave up on our wedding rings. His is too heavy for his hand and mine can't be worn at my work. I still wear mine sometimes, but we both know that we are faithful to each other and are not really jealous people. It works for us. I wouldn't worry over the "rules" if I were you.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My husband has to take his off for work. (its a safety thing) so he keeps it on a chain in his locker. I take mine off to do dishes/clean bathrooms and things like that. BUT I wear it around my neck during those times so that I dont lose them. You can get a pretty little necklace at walmart/target. That way you always "wear" them its just a matter of where.
    Gypsy-Eyed-Mom

Answer by Gypsy-Eyed-Mom at 10:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I'm the master (well my friend is the master- but I'm in training) of lost jewelry. I have found that if you get a small dish/bowl/glass etc to put next to your kitchen sink and one in the bathroom, so when you get in the shower or wash your hands or face or something of the sort you will not run such a high risk or droping them down the pipes. There isn't really a "law" that says when you can take them or or have to have them on or any of that. For instance. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and haven't worn mine in about 3 or 4 weeks, but they are put up where I know they are safe. As for your husband, we found (my husband does masonry) a ring made from Tungston that is basically indistructable. If your husband is in a construction type job it is a wise choice. Good luck...
    Anonymous

• My husband and I both rarely wear ours at home. He wears his to work and we both wear them when we go out somewhere. Though, we've both been known to forget. We don't really care. I mean I love my ring and all but it's just a ring. If one of us is going to cheat, a ring isn't going to stop us.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I never take mine off, except for when I had surgery.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I only take mine off to wash the dishes. I'm not too worried of losing diamonds because if I lose one it will be replaced for free. I wear latex gloves at work that protect my ring and my residents from being scratched by it so I'm not too concerned there either.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• We don't wear ours pretty much ever, so I think it's up to you. Both are sitting in my jewlery box right now and have been there for quite a while.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I don't ever take mine off. There is no reason to, unless you are using harsh chemicals. If it's loose, I would have it sized so it doesn't slip off.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2010