DH thinks I spoiled her :-(

Our 7 month old has not been wanting to go to sleep lately. I am thinking it's because she's teething, but hubby thinks that she's spoiled because she'll stop crying and fall asleep as soon as I pick her up and rock her. When I put her down though, she'll wake up and start crying again. I didn't think there was such a thing as spoiling a baby, but maybe I was wrong? Does anyone have any advice on this?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 10:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried Highland's Teething tabs? They are homeopathic and safe for baby. The Baby Orajel actually toughens gums and makes it harder and take longer for the tooth to pop through.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• She is probably just teething and wants you to hold her for comfort. I don't think you are spoiling her.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If they act spoiled, then that means you are caring for them properly. That's what I always heard. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• As we all can easily remember who have had braces, teeth hurt a lot more at night when you aren't distracted and especially when you are lying down. We all feel better when we are sick with a little comforting. She is doing the same thing. To help her sleep, when she is in your arms be sure she is in DEEP sleep before you set her down. Look for limp limbs and slow steady breathing. If you put her down during light sleep she will be disturbed...as we all are when we are in light sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I firmly believe there is no such thing as spoiling an infant. Spoiling a child, in my opinion at least, is when your 4 year old sees a toy they want in the store and cries for you to buy it for them, and you do it...every time. I could never understand how giving your baby attention and love and coming to them when they are crying is called "spoiling"...I thought that's what being a mom is! Women in Africa keep their babies close to them at all times by carrying them around in a sling. Now would you say those babies are spoiled? I doubt it. My son started teething when he turned 3 months old and was doing the same thing. He'd sleep only when I was rocking him and once I put him down, he'd wake up. That went on for about 3 weeks and now he's 5 months old and is back to his old self again and sleeping and napping regularly. It could be teething...but its DEFINITELY NOT SPOILING!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• U NEED TO STOP THAT REAL QUIK ! MAKE HER SLEEP IN HER OWNE BED AND QUIT PICKING HER UP , LET HER CRY HER SELF TO SLEEP , SHE STOP IN A FEW NIGHTS !
    Anonymous

• You can't spoil an infant. My guess would be teething, she's also at that age where sleep patterns change. All of my kids went through periods where they wanted to be rocked before they went to sleep; they would want to be rocked for a week or two, then it was back to normal. (putting them in their crib when they were drowsy).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with idsdragonmom. totally.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with previous posters that she is crying at 7 months for a reason and is looking for comfort. If you can not be that comfort to her, then I feel you are denying her the love she deserves from her mom. In time when she starts sleeping better and wakes and fusses, then you let her cry it out. But I feel you aren't spoiling her. You are her mom afterall. My daughter who will be 2 tomorrow is a terrific sleeper. but sometimes she wakes up crying. If she is scared or not feeling well I am not going to ignore her cries. I go into her room, comfort her and she lays right back down and falls asleep.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• I agree with your husband to an extent. I generally don't think that you can spoil a baby, but picking them up every time they make a sound or rocking her to sleep all the time is not good for independence. Self soothing is good for baby and mom and dad.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2010