How can I ease the pain of a plugged salivary gland?

The glands that produce Saliva under my tongue are plugged, making them swollen and painful! Is there anything anyone knows that I can take, put on it to ease the pain. I'm on an antibiotic to see if that will get rid of it.

Darcyd

Asked by Darcyd at 10:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

• it depends on whether or not you have a stone( calculi) in there or just an infection or inflammation. Do you know the reason why your glands are swelling? you can't really treat it correctly until we know the reason why this is happening.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Excellent point, the Dr. didn't know what the deal was. I don't know if there's a blockage, I have gotten this before and was always able to pop the stone out. No such luck this time. If the anitbiotic doesn't work then I guess there's a blockage. *sigh*
    It just hurts so bad!
    Darcyd

Answer by Darcyd at 10:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If you have had a stone in the past, it is likely you have another. ouch, I'm sorry bout that. if you have an anti inflammatory around the house you can ease the pain with that along with some tylenol. Motrin would do both as would aleve.
    Use heat in cases of infection and ice in cases of swelling or injury. Ice would probably be your best bet with Motrin and try to go to bed for the night. Relieving the swelling may aide in the expulsion of the stone. Guessing you have one of course. GL girl.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Hot salt water and massage. :( Sorry I can't be of any more help.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2010