catholic baptism

. I have never been very religious. My husband grew up catholic but we do not attend church. He want to start taking our twins and get them baptized and start taking them to Sunday school. I would like to be a part of that but I am not sure what is expected. What has to happen to get my girls baptized.

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 10:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• All it take is conseting parents and you will have to raise them in the Church. I wish I was in your shoes do not pass up this opportunity to have your children raised in Gods Church.

Joanne27

Answer by Joanne27 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• they are about to be 5 months old... since we had them we are trying really hard to be better people. i really dont know anything about catholic relegion.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 10:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• you'll need to attend a course put on by the church that will teach you all about what the baptism is for etc...

but the best way to learn is to get ahold of your parish priest or even someone in the office. they're a wealth of information and willing to answer anything. dh is catholic, I am not but our girls are. and they attend catholic school. I'm one step ahead of them in the learning and information - its quite fascinating.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Most Catholic parishes will require the parents to attend a class to make sure they understand the purpose and meaning of baptism. For Catholics baptism is more than symbolic - it's one way Christ gave us to receive His grace. Since this is done based on the faith of the parent(s) the priest should feel assured that the child will be raised in the Catholic faith. Which sounds OK since your husband also wants to take them to Sunday school. (Since he's Catholic - it's his job. You don't have to promise to raise the kids Catholic, only that you won't interfere with your husband doing so. But hopefully you'll be supportive of the idea. A good book that provides a pretty easy-to-read overview of the Catholic faith is "Catholicism for Dummies" but you can ask the priest or the person teaching the baptism class any questions.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my dh was raised catholic i was not. when it came to the baptism i attended a few, to sum it up it is you as parents stating that you will raise your child to have faith in God. the ceremony is a show of faith on the parents part--it is beautiful and i cried all the way through each childs baptism. we were not required to take classes our faith was enough. you could call your local parish and ask if you could witness the next baptism you won't regret it. good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i really dont know anything about catholic relegion.

___

If you want to learn what the church teaches about virtually any subject, you can find it in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  If you don't have it at home, you can read it on the internet, and you can look up a specific subject under "index".  BTW - this isn't a book to read from beginning to end like a novel, just a reference book.  Hope it helps.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 12:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2010