How do I change the family "triangle" dynamic that occurs with me, my husband and my son?

I feel my husband competes with me for my son's attention.
For example, we will go swimming in the pool and my husband will say to my son come to me. I just sit there and watch for 15 minutes and think to myself, why am I here if you are not going to include me.
Another example, I will tickle my son and my husband comes over to tickle him. I have been told by others that we should have play time separately with my son, but I do that now, and I would like to feel comfortable when the three of us are together. I have talked to my husband about this before. But it continues to happen. And I know it is not just me being insecure. I can tell it is competition with him.

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just as long as you have one on one time with your son I wouldn't worry about it. Don't be offended if he chooses your husband over you when you are all together. Think of it as a way to get some alone time for yourself.
    zaksmom8278

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2008