cervix self check?

so I was curious last night and wanted to see if I could tell if there was a difference in my cervix. I know I am not an ob and I wasn't trying to tell how many cm dialated or anything, but I was curious. so i checked after I got out of the shower and I can't feel it AT ALL. I used to be able to, and I know I am not looking in the wrong spot or anything like that. So I am thinking I might be effacing? btw- 38 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You are right you are not a doctor, you aren't trained and you really don't know what you are looking for. Doctor doesn't like doing it all the time because it irritates the cervix. You could injure yourself, and make you cervix swell. Feels real good when you push and your cervix tears, lots of stitches. Your hands are not clean either. Why in the world would you do sonething like that anyway. You are 38 weeks, you aren't done yet. If you were, you'd be in labor. Just lieave well enough alone.
    Anonymous

• You can always count on an anon answer to be rude and useless... I don't know the answer to your question. But I don't see how in any way what you did was unsafe. I'm assuming since you went out of your way to mention you showered your hands were clean. Any how would poking around irritate things or cause tearing any more then sex would?

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Wow, can't you read bfore you criticise? If you injure your cervix it can cause swelling, which means it can tear if you have to push through it. If you don't know the answer than pass it. Obviously you are just as foolish as the OP.
    Anonymous

• I agree that was a rude way to put it, but I became very impatient when I had my 2nd son and had asked my doctor if my husband could check my cervix at home and they said that it would put the baby at a higher risk for infection and it's not safe. Also, they don't even like to check you a lot when you're in labor for the same reason. I'd be careful and be patient, the baby will come when ready :-) I know it's hard to wait and you wonder all the time towards the end if you're getting closer. Even if you were dialated a little more (I know you said that's not what you were doing), but you could stay that way for weeks. I was dialated to a 2 for 2 weeks. Your uterus has probably tipped some with it growing, but I wouldn't continue to try to find it because it's not worth the risks. It's not that you didn't wash your hands, but anything you touched before you checked could have something on it, making your hands unclean.
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Wow, really. I don't see how I was rude. I was honest, and I was not even near catty. Here's rude: You are a moron for doing that! Did I say that no! I think it's rude for you guys to accuse me of it and not read the post properly.
    Anonymous

• I think you guys are selfish for putting your baby in danger. What if you were dialated and you tore the bag of waters? This happened to me when a nurse checked me. Thank god I was in the hospital because he landed hard on his cord from the loss of fluid and was losing oxygen. She had gloves on and it happened.
    Anonymous

• Well I'm sorry for not reading the post properly, I didn't figure there was more than one way to read it. Both who read the answer saw it the same way. I'm sure this person didn't post this question to have someone battling whether or not they were rude. Really? Do you care that much? You're anonymous anyway.
    TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Anon, I'm sure the OP is more than capable of doing a little poking around without hurting herself. The fact that she didn't even feel her cervix seems to prove that she's being pretty careful.  She'd to have to much rougher than that to tear her cervix.  If your answer hadn't been so harsh I wouldn't have even commented. The worst thing about this site is how women love to tear each other down. I thought the OP should know another person read her question and thought she was being reasonable.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:11 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• You are tearing me down and you don't even know me!! Get over yourself seriously. I don't need you to "tell me a thing or two". I know from experience this is a seriously foolish and dangerous thing to do. Should I sugar coat it, no no hunny no touch! I have assisted many deliveries and seen what can happen when people do stuff like this. Are you a doctor all of a sudden?
    Anonymous

• honestly i dont think its harmful to atleast poke once to find out anything as long as you cleaned your hands i dont see why not its yur body an plus if itwere that bad then obs would tell us all to stop having sex a penus is worse than a hand if ur man didnt wash good or sumthn so just be careful !!! an lets stop arguing over this poor ladies post!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2010