does anybody know of any good job oppurtunities for a 14 year old?

We leave in Washington and my daughter is looking for a way to earn some spending money this Summer. We have tried babysitting but she wasn't to fond of it and she is looking for a considerably well paying job(5+dollars and hour)

shespeaksloud

Asked by shespeaksloud at 10:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• not many jobs that a 14 yr old can do legally. My little sister worked at a Horse stable cleaning stalls when she was 14.

Besides babysitting i don't know of any others, maybe mowing yards?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• A 14 year old can work 20 hours a week and until 7 pm. My son worked for a local owned drug store when he turned 14. He was a cashier and put up stock there. But it didn't work out due to sports.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• the local ymca has job opportunities available after school, while working there she will also be entitled to a free pass. also the local senior citizen center would be a good place to look, might be an elderly person that needs a dog walked, or erranns done. good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• what about mcdonalds?? i used to work there, and personally, loved it!!! its always busy, so time went by so fast!! it looks amazing on a resume!! and it really is good training. theres also loooots of opportunities to work your way up. i worked there for almost 3 years..left when i got pregnant, and never went back..that was 6 years ago...and to this day, i can honestly say i miss it!! (only reason why i didnt go back was because i didnt want my daughter growing up saying "my mommy works at mcdonalds")
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Build-A-Bear hires 14 year olds.
    Anonymous

• Mowing lawns, shoveling driveways/sidewalks, walking dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Have her take the Red Cross babysitting class. My fourteen year old is certified and earns $8-10 and hour; she has four families she sits for on a regular basis, and earns at least $32 a week. During winter break, she earned well over $200

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Here in NC they can work at grocery stores, although they would have to get a special "work permit" - my brother started out stocking shelves at 14 and by the time he was 18 he was assistant manager of the store. He went to college, but he still worked part time as the asst. manager (full time during breaks) and had one of the best paying jobs out of any of our friends!

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Babysitting or mowing lawns.
    Anonymous

• Check your local laws regarding child labor laws in your state or city. Some don't allow kids under 15 to work. Other than babysitting, the only things I can think of are...helping an elderly neighbor with household chores, yardwork. She could tutor younger kids, cut grass or get a paper route.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2010