HELP! Does this sound like strep?

My son is 21 months...I took him to the docotr today and because this is his 4th day of having a fever- the highest was 102.2 at night, but for the past few days it has gotten up to 101.7 in evening or night the highests. Last night, I gave him motrin at midnight and he didnt develop a fever again until tonight at 5 pm(101.7). I gave him a bath and it went back down to 98.7. Anyway, his only other symptom is a sore throat. They took a culture today at the doctor and it wont be back until thrusday. She didnt think it was strep so she didnt prescribe medication. he plays during the day, runs climbs, ect. He doesnt really run a fever during the day either. He isnt eating much but making an attempt to eat things...at night his is drooling a lot and saying ow when he swallows and the doctor said his throat was really red, but likely a viral infection. Would a baby play and only run a fever at night if it was strep??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Health

• I think if it's strep and he's had a slight fever for 4 days...it would be really painful by now and he would be a very unhappy boy
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Not strep. We've had it in our house quite a few times and no, it's most likely not. Hasn't your doc's office heard of rapid strep tests?! 10 minutes or less!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Strep usually involves white splotches in the back of the throat....
    val576

Answer by val576 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Viral infections tend to be up and down; typical is a spike in fever at night. Bacterial infections, like strep, tend to get progressively worse.
    Take a flashlight and look at the back of your child’s throat. If you see white spots, go back to the doctor’s office and insist on a strep test (it takes less than ten minutes).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2010