Right or left handed?

My real question is; I think my son is left handed, I am right handed. How do I help him to use his left hand? He is turning 3 and already eats and writes with his right. But is obviously not his correct hand. Is it possible that he is ambidextrous? My brother is. But how do I tell that?

Tes...Jacksmami

Asked by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• He could very well be ambidextrous. I was when I was younger. I could write with my left hand just as well as I could with my right. I ended up preferring my right hand over my left though so now I consider myself right-handed. However, I bowl with my left hand and eat with my left hand so I still use it often. I guess you could tell if he is by just observing how often he alternates hands. If you notice him preferring 1 hand over the other than I would say he's right or left handed. But if he does some things with his right hand and other things with his left than he's probably ambidextrous. As for helping him write with his left hand when you are right handed, that's a tough one because its hard to figure out how to hold the pencil when you are opposite handed. Sorry I can't be of much help there.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• If he eats and writes with his right, how do you know he is left handed? My little sister is left-handed and my parents never did anything special to teach her. She just learned. It is possible he's ambidextrous (i am), but he'll figure that out.

He might just look awkward writing because he can't hold the pencil/pen/crayon right yet.
    Anonymous

• I am left handed and all my family except one Aunt is right handed. She had to teach me to use a canopener when I was a child, I could not learn from anyone else. If your son is using his right hand then it is right for him. He very well could be able to use both hands.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• just keep on encouraging him , maybe buy little softys you can put on a pencil so it fits better
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:25 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• He could be. I am amibidextrous. I write with my right but use my left for eating and other things. My youngest is the same way too.
    Anonymous

• My middle child used his right hand but preferred his left. Since that was his preferance, I started buying left handed baby silverware.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• My son is the 3rd left handed person in our family, my mother, me, him. I didn't teach him, he just does it on his own. I write and eat with my left hand, but do everything else with my right. You learn to use things the same way everyone else does, it just takes a little longer sometimes.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• my son is left handed he started out using both hands to do everything but he is 3 now and he eats and colors and draws with his left hand he even throws balls with his left hand
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 10:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2010