Your Baby Can Read Program

I've started the Your Baby Can Read Program with my 7 month old son. I was curious if any of you lovely mothers have used or are using it with your children and if so, how is it working for ya'll?

tasase

Asked by tasase at 11:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• this is something I have always wondered ever since I seen the baby can read thing..

If your baby learns to read this early...then he will pretty much always be ahead in reading...but when he gets to school...what is he going to do when he is normal for ever other subject..and then ahead in reading ( I mean like how if a child is smart enough, they will pass them to the next grade...but if your child is only ahead in the one subject, what do they do...just let him be bored with reading in class ?)

I really dont understand why parents do this... I mean couldnt he/she just learn to read when they are suppose to...what is the reason for a 7 month old reading?
    Anonymous

• I myself don't see anything wrong with giving my child an early advantage. I was an early reader myself. Reading books at age 2 and a half. I wasn't "bored" with reading or spelling in class even though I learned much earlier than most of my classmates. I also excelled at math and everything else.
    And really, I'm just curious about the program and how it has worked for others that have used it. Thanks ;)

tasase

Answer by tasase at 11:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• Why are some people in such a hurry to make their babies grow up!!! Babies & toddlers can not learn to read! They don't need to know how to read!! Studies show that even if you teach your kids to "read" at an early age, they don't have the ability to comprehend the meaning of the words they are "reading", so they are really just memorizing letters and sounds. Also, they eventually even out with all the other children which means they are no more ahead in the long run than they would have been to just learn to read at the appropriate age. Save your money & let your baby be a baby! They grow up fast enough as it is!

Anonymous

• I have been using it with my daughter for 4 months now, and there is no improvement. She is a normal baby that likes to play with her toy piano and is not advanced. Her pediatrician has never seen the program successfully work either.

I figured if it gives her a heads up, then fine. All it has done for me is provide her 20 minutes of entertainment which works too, but knowing that I wouldn't dare pay full price for it.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 11:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• It doesn't teach a child how to read it teaches a child how to memorize what a word looks like. Phonetics is teaching a child to read.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ok, so what is reading? Reading is not simply reading words, that's fluency. There is also meaning, vocabulary and understanding, comprehension. So reading is taught in three parts; fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. As your child's first teacher, your role is to help your child by exposing them to different "things" (building background knowledge) and vocabulary. This will help your child so that when they read...oh let's say a book about zoo animals they will be able to understand the storyline and the words.

So, no I'm sorry. I'm not helpful at answering your question. However I can say that I will not be teaching my 19mos old FLUENCY anytime soon. Instead I will be developing his vocabulary and exposing him to places and events so that he will be ready to engage in a rich classroom/homeschooled discussion about literature.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I don't see the value at all. My daughter was reading by the time she turned four; this was plenty early

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• From everything I've read, it's a waste of time. Babies are not developmentally ready to learn to read - then CAN learn to read, but the amount of time that you would have to invest to teach them something they are not developmentally ready for is such a waste of time you could be enjoying your child and playing with toys. Just wait a couple of years and you'll have to spend much less time teaching them to read when they are ready!

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• it's a waste of money. let your baby be a baby, love her and cuddle her and read to her. let her learn to read when SHE is ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• All very good points.. thanks a lot =)
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 9:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2010