Matt. 7 what does it mean to you?

Matthew 7
Judging Others
1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

6"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it means don't be blind to what you have done or are doing wrong and judge other's about their life or what they are doing. obviously they are judging you back!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• 1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Is that in the bible? Do Christians follow that? If so... do you know how many Christians judge me because I am Atheist... seriously..chrisitans talk about doing what is right and how a true Christian is... But Christians are by far the most close minded ppl ever...and i honestly don't mean that to bash ppl, but just about every christian I have met, is like i don't know how you can be atheist, how do you live, you believe in the devil...automatically not liking me bc i dont believe in god like them. Now how does all of this make any sense????
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2010

• "side-bar "to sexy can; sorry you haven't met any good 'christians'. They way I see it, people label people all the time but what it comes down to is this: I'm no better than anyone else and if I get cut I bleed red, same as you and the next girl and the next guy. We're all in this life together and we're all trying to figure out who we are and what we are and who God is or isn't. There are so many divisions of peoples ideas, beliefs and mindsets, it boggles my mind to even try to list them all, let alone understand why. The scripture verses referred to in Matt. 7 are but a small part in a book filled with lots of words of advice, history, promises, love and common sense. People tend to criticize the bible without actually reading it. Kind of like judging it without having all the facts... Hope you have a wonderful day. Take care :)
    gammyp

Answer by gammyp at 3:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• The first few scriptures are largely self evident. Jesus is pointing to the foolishness of being overcritical.

But verse 6 is interesting because it shows Jesus' disciples were not to show no 'judgement' (discernment) at all in connection with other people. In a figurative sense, “what is sacred” and “pearls” refer to precious Bible truths regarding God’s Messianic kingdom. Disciples of Jesus were to share these truths with everyone. (Matthew 24:14; 28:19,20) But if individuals show themselves to be without appreciation of spiritual things, like dogs or pigs, Christians were not to waste time or put themselves in danger pressing the matter. They were to seek out more receptive ones. See Matthew 10:14; Luke 9:5; 10:11; Acts 13:45, 46; 18:6.
    JWMomElizabeth

Answer by JWMomElizabeth at 5:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• This passage does not have to do with calling sin by its rightful name, which is sin. It has to do with assigning motives to why people do the things that they do or judging their motives. No man can see the intent of another's heart. Only God can do that. So those are the kinds of things that are being talked about in this passage. God has clearly defined what is and is not sin. As followers of Christ, we can do no less. The Bible has to be understood in its entire scope, and there are many other passages that tell us how and when to confront those who are overtaken by sin. Those passages are not very often quoted, whereas this passage about not judging is very often quoted. It really just goes along with other passages that say only God has the ability to judge the hearts and intents of hearts. We certainly can and are instructed to judge behaviors of our brothers and sisters.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• ... But Christians are by far the most close minded ppl ever...

sexy can i, this statment right here is about as close minded and judgmental as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is best to study these passages and learn what the greek says to have a better understanding of what it really means.

There is a HUGE difference between judging someone and correcting them in love. Sadly many jump on the you are judging me wagon because of offense and conviction. Many will not admit that but the reason people react so strongly is because many do not like things being pointed out.

Christians are more open minded than you think. I would rather not be TOO open minded that my brains fall out . :-) Even saying christians are the most closed minded people ever comes from a heart of offense and lack of understanding of WHO GOD is and His character and the depth of the love that comes from within His own heart. I am open minded to that fact that God loves ME and His grace is more than enough for me! Many are not open minded or open hearted to that. :-) Yet He STILL loves you no matter what! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Shannon is right. It is not wrong to correct someone. The verse is talking about condemning someone or judging their motives. We can't judge people's hearts, because we can't see what is inside of them. Only Jesus can.

To take this as a principle that means "live and let live" is wrong. The Bible repeadedly tells us to judge people by their fruit, to mark people who teach false doctrine and avoid them, to warn those who are in sin, to preach the gospel!!!

This verse is a favorite of people who don't want to be held to the standards of scripture, those who are backslidden or who are in unrepentant sin.

It is an attitude of apathy and indifference that thinks it is wrong to correct, not an attitude of love which seeks to bring spiritual healing. Love corrects with humility. I know that I am not better, I can be tempted in the same way. Humility, love, and guidance can rescue people.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• be peaceable not a hypocrite.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 1:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Live and let live and mind your own dang business.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2010