found out today my 3 year old needs glasses..

we took my 3 year old daughter to get an eye checkup today -- she did really good, but the Dr. said she has a stigmatism (sp) ...she didnt NEED them now, unless she reads or gets on the computer...but by next year she would need them especially before school starts...so we decided that since she is starting to try and read and she plays this peguin game on the computer sometimes...to get them..and also she could get use to them, instead of just getting them right when she starts school.

Anyways my question is -- Do you think kids that young are able to get use to their glasses...that it will take a long time? She is a very smart little girl, but I think she thinks they are going to be "for fun" .. I mean I guess I will have to wait and see...but does anyone else have young kids with glasses?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 11:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• All 3 of mine wear glasses, two wear them all the time and one only at school or doing homework. They were each 5 when they got them and so far we have done really well and havent lost any for more than an hour. My daughter has astigmatism also and I knew when she was 4 that she would need them but we held off since she wasnt in pre school and her prescription would change and honestly my insurance would cover another pair before schools tarted so i had to weigh my options.

My daughter did think they were funa nd i let her pick whatever frame she wanted, kids tend to wear things they liek so at this age i was willing to let her choose, she is very good about bringing them to me to clean. Kids adapt very well to them, especially if you make learning how to take care of them fun, we treated my dd's as if it were a treasure lol and she is very careful about them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If you can ask for the playground lens and try to get flexi frames, they work much better with kids and are safer. with the flex frames if a ball hits their face the frames will bend with it and the playground lens doesnt scratch easily :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You done the right thing by getting them for her now. She needs to be used to them when she goes to school. Did she pick them out? My son was 5 when we found out he needed glasses, he never complained so I did not know HOW poor his vision was. He needed the glasses to see and it has been almost 9 years since he got them and from that very first day he has wore them EVERY day.
    But good job momma on doing what she needs!!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Oh 3 ring is so right about the flex frames! My sons first pair of frames had to be replaced 4 times the first year! Nike makes the flex frames, I think I pay around $250 just for the frames, but they are GREAT!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• thanks for the replies !

Yes she picked them out, she got cute little pink, princess ones...they even have tiny little "diamond" tiaras on the side lol...

I was like...you know the disney sticker comes off of the lens before you were them right ? lol...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I had astigmatism when I was a child, not as young as yours, and wearing my glasses every day actually improved my vision and healed my astigmatism in one of my eyes completely. Now I have different eye problems from age, but no astigmatism.

Plus, girls with glasses are so cool. Fun frames that she chooses will help. The compliments she gets from family and friends will reinforce wearing them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You'll have to put a pic of her wearing her glasses on here when she gets them! Little kids are so cute in glasses! :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• yeah she was really cute in them...I should have taken a pic with my phone, but I just didnt think about it lol...I have a little cousin who is 8 and he has glasses now too... they look similar..and now they almost look like twins ( or will when she wears them ) he is also really cute , especially now in his glasses
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have to smile at little ones with glasses on, they just look so darn cute!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Your lucky she picked princess ones lol my DD picked a pair of Juicy frames they are pink on the front and brown on the sides and say juicy couture and now she loves to coordinate her clothes to match lol, her jacket matches and her hat and scarf, we were at the store and lady commented on how stylish my daughter was and now she wants several pairs so she can accesorize lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010