so paranoid about SIDS

My son is a little over 2 months, and we just moved him to the crib in his bedroom. I am so paranoid about SIDS. I can't sleep. I get up constantly in the middle of the night just to make sure he is breathing. I know I am doing everything like they say, sleeping on the back, firm matress, etc... how do I get over this paranora? I never had it with DD, but then again I didnt know much about it then...

Thanks for any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you do what they recommend then you have no need to worry. Keep the monitor by your bedside and be vigilant. Momma needs to get rest too so that she can be the best mom that she can. I have learned not only from having a child, but also because of the job my husband does that worry will eat you alive, worry when you truly need to. Hope you can find some peace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Just be calm. I know it can be nervewracking. would it set your mind at ease if maybe you set up the crib in your room. so he'll be close to you? or even co-sleep till he is 6 mths old when the chance for SIDS decreases. and Co-sleeping also decreases SIDS too. My DD slept in her crib in our room. actually she still does adn everytime I would put her in there I would pray over her that the Lord protect her and keep her safe. it gave me a sense of peace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My friend lost their son to SIDS 15 years ago. The daddy fed the baby at 4 am and at 6am they found the baby had passed from SIDS. Honestly, there is nothing you can do, if it is time for God to bring the baby home with him then he will.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ugh I still check on my little ones a ton during the night but you eventually have to just trust in the fact that you have done everything you can to protect him. The incidents of SIDS have decreased SO much with the "Back to Sleep" campaign hospitals have been on for all these years now. I think the worry is normal but you need to rest assured he will be ok since you've taken all the right precautions. Like a PP said, can you set his crib up in your room maybe so you can be closer to him? Perhaps that would help ease your mind a bit more. You're a good momma...it's normal...just give him lots of lovins. Good luck!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• They make monitors for it, it's a pad that goes under the sheet, and if there's zero movement from baby in 20 seconds an alarm goes off. Look into that. You'll just be worse off with all the worry & not sleeping if you don't do something!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My cousin went through the same paranoia as your going thru. She was an insomniac cuz she worried so much. She now has 2 little ones and she still worries. She takes antidepressants cuz it can get bad. You need to be a happy mom and when you're stressed out about all the things that can happen to your LO you're not.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is most common between 2-4 months...our son was 2 1/2 months. I'd keep him close. He's still little. We co slept with him, but we had not went to bed yet and since we were not in our bed, he was in his bassinet until we decided to go get him for the family bed...

Responsible co sleeping is safer than a baby, in another room, in a crib or bassinet.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Also, the majority of parents who this has happened to "Do everything right"..that is what SIDS is. when the death can not be explained, so it is NOT suffocation from a bumper pad or anything else. It is when the baby has died peacefully and after an autopsy (and unfortunately an investigation) they rule it to be SIDS.

I don't know how to get through the paranoia. I am 7 months pregnant now and still struggle with trying to figure out how I will let me or my husband sleep through the first year...
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Oh babycakes...I am so sorry that happened to you....I cannot even imagine....Are you going to get one of those motion alarm monitor things maybe? Would that help you a bit with peace of mind when baby is sleeping? Man, I have no clue how you handle that....I am sad for you :( Blessings on your new little one....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• "Airborne chemicals are a suspected cause of SIDS...This may explain the documented higher incidence of SIDS in the wintertime. During the winter windows are left closed, decreasing ventilation, which increases the concentration of outgassed vapors in the home. (outgassing is the toxic vapors that cleaning products and some personal care products release into the air) No one knows what causes SIDS, but why take unnecessary chances with your infant?" an excerpt from a pamphlet by Richard M. Barry.
    We have eliminated all toxins in our home - I would be happy to share with you what we have done. Feel free to contact me through my cafemom mail.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010