At what age can i start feeding my baby baby food?

My baby is 2 months old and i am a first time mom and i was wondering when i should start feeding her baby food. I am also breastfeeding and working full time. Your answers will help me a lot. Thank You.

sweetness2k4

Asked by sweetness2k4 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is recommended to wait untill at least six months of age to give a baby's gut a chance to mature (if you don't you can cause constipation and terrible gas), and the baby should be able to sit UP unassassisted and have lost the tongue thrust reflex (it is a reflex designed to keep solid foods out of the mouth...its a choking preventative), and baby should also show interest in food. See  http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html and http://www.babyledweaning.com/  

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Since you're breastfeeding, not before 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I waited until 6 months but everyone else I knew started at 4 months. My baby's doc said it's really not an age based decison, it really comes down to their development and milestones. Most babies start from 4-6 months though. Make sure to check with your pedi before introducing solids first. But you still have a couple of months so try not to worry about it.
    PinkyLove

Answer by PinkyLove at 12:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Most doctors recommend rice cereal at 4 months, and baby food at 6 months.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Six months is fine, and my dd couldn't sit unassisted yet she was lazy. As long as they can sit in the chair that you use and can swallow etc it is fine. 6 months is when most kids start.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I believe that a full time breastfed baby is fine only NOTHING but BM for 6-7 months.I started my DD on cereal mixed with BM when she almost 7 months.

But do what you feel is best for your baby, some mom's are "forced" my their mom or grandma into giving cereal way to earlier.You know that BM is very easy to pass,so BM babies eat more then baby forced to eat solids to young.There will be a lot of people who will not support my belief's but there are also a lot who do.My DD "sickness" paperwork was only a half a sheet long and at 10 it is still very short.Not the same w/ my son

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have a 5 1/2 month old and i introduced cereal at about 4 1/2 months,shortly after i stopped breast feeding. I do agree that it depends on the development of the baby, talk to your pediatrician. My son does not seem quite ready for all the baby food and cereal but we are continually working slowly with the new food introductions.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I waited with both of mine till 6 months and they both eat pretty good but for the toddler it was a challenage and with the baby a bit ...but then again every child is different...Good Luck, Hope this helps!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It's best to wait until six months. You can even wait until closer to 1 year, if you want. My daughter is 5 months, and has had nothing but breastmilk, and she is the picture of health. Never been to the doctor except for checkups.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Congratulations to you! I also worked full time, and breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.
    Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at the librar

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010