vaccines.

This isnt a debate post.
Tomorrow, I have to go get my almost 3 yr old vaccinated. I really dont want to. I am afraid of all the terrible things that come along with getting shots. Other than Autism, she may have an allergic reaction, Im sure she'll have a fever, she'll be sore, and she will hate going to the dr. She doesnt have a problem going now, but i have halted her sched, because of my fears. I can halt it any longer.
What can I do if something were to happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you should get The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child by Robert Sears

He gives all that info. He also give 2 different schudles for vaxing. A delayed one and a delayed selective one. Hugs. It's a hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• well we are going over seas, so i have to get a bunch of them. or i could just leave her here in the United States..but i would never do that :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Make sure you give her time before traveling. Which vacs are you getting?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• the stuff they say about vaccines causin autism may be true, but im pretty sure it happens at much younger ages then 3. like when theyre infants. i hated getting my daughter vaccinated too. give her a kiss!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 7:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If your daughter has an adverse reaction to a vaccine, report it to VAERS, which is the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System through the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.

emslala

Answer by emslala at 9:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Can you get a religious exemption?

Also, you can request the vaxes without the preservative. The common preservative is called thimerosal. It is the ingredient with all the mercury in it. The preservative free vaxes are available, but you have to request them. They may need to be ordered ahead of time.

Can you ask for individual instead of combo vaxes? The more in the mix, the more stabilizers they use to keep the vax viable. Like instead of the DTaP-- get a single tetanus, a single diphtheria, a single pertussis.

Can you get them one at a time? Even spacing them out a week? Or a month?

Can you get an allergy exemption? Maybe for some of them?

Blessings of Health to your little one!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Keep in mind that the vast majority of kids don't have any adverse reactions to the vaccines. There is no proven link between vaccines and autism (my pediatrician has a child with autism, had read all the studies and agrees that there's no link..). Overall, your child faces a greater risk from the diseases themselves than from the vaccines. It is unfortunate that kids develop a dislike of doctors because of shots but it is unfortunately a fact of life.. I do agree with the statemtent of requesting preservative free vaccinces (that's all our doctor uses) but I wouldn't split them into multiple shots. That just adds to the overall pain/anxiety. Have a special treat planned for your child afterwards to associate more happy experiences.. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If you can, try to hold a little ice on her leg while the nurses prepare the shots. It will numb the area a bit and take some of the sting out. My kids have never had a reaction to vacs other than a sore, red spot on the leg. Then take her out for ice cream or some thing afterward. She will be fine....good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• OP > thank you all for being so kind. i will keep u posted on how everything goes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2010