Ear pit/preauricular pit?

My son has one on his right ear. We had a problem with draining once, but no major problems until recently.

In November, he was being treated for draining and swelling where the pit is. (It looks almost like his ear is pierced, but it's on the front/top of his ear (the helix). While he was being treated, he developed a different swelling right in front of his ear. I took him to the Dr, who sent us to the ER and we stayed overnight for 2 nights on IV antibiotics, went home with 9 days of antibiotics. A week after he finished, it was back. So we went to the hospital again, where they drained it and he did IV antibiotics for 2 nights again, with 7 days at home. Came back 10 days after. We went to the Dr early this time and they drained it in office and gave him antibiotics again. He finished those yesterday and in front of his ear is swollen again. They will remove the pit but can't until it's not infected.
Anyone else?

valorie59

Asked by valorie59 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I am 42 and have had a preauricular pit since birth. My twin sister had one, we have 3 cousins with them, and some of our children have them. I had mine removed in 2005 and it was back and worse than ever within 6 months. Consider carefully before having it removed.
    first.twin

Answer by first.twin at 1:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2011