Serious question about nipples

I breastfed both of my children, each about 4 months or so, and that was almost 3 years ago. (one is 4 and the othe ris almost 3) Before children i never had any crust or anything odd on my nipple. Well, while i was breast feeding i would get little crusty things like in my nipple an i assumed it was dry milk or something, i never had a problem expressing milk or anything. well now, i have just come to notice, i still have little crusty things in my nipples. no pain, no puss, and nothing coming out of them ,just tiny dry crusty things and as terrible as this sounds, i can pick them out. it doesnt hurt. there are no lumps or anything else odd, and i get a yearly check up when i go get my BC from the gyno. Has anyone else ever had this happen or hear of this happening??

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Health

• I do, it's kind of like belly button lint, a little buildup of skin particles finding a nice warm spot to gather, til there's enough for you to notice. I get that about once a month or so, in one or the other. No harn in bringing it up to your doc next time you go in though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I breastfed my son for the first 4 months but then wasn't producing enough milk for him. That was over 2 years ago. I have had the same thing that you have. I could just like you, even though it sounds gross, pick them out with no pain or anything. I asked my gyno at a regular pap exam and she said, its not uncommon. From the baby sucking at the nipple and how hard they become the nipple just forms like that. The doctor told me to use lotion everyday (i used jergens) and it would great. There still there once and a while, but i just felt better knowing that i wasnt the only one!
    lyz826

Answer by lyz826 at 1:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have to say THANKS for asking this. I would never have thought to. But it is something I have that bugs me too. I am glad to know I probably am normal in that area then. :) I did ask, but they said I was fine. (Literally, you're fine.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• yay :) glad yall answered so quickly! soo glad im not the only one that this is normal to! i have been up all night googling, not good idea when im already kind of freaked out! haha, thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2010