My mom needs new pipes but how do I suggest it to her...

Without offending her, that she needs new pipes for her house? I love visiting my mom but what i don't love is her plumbing. All her pipes are corroded, her bath tub is clogged the majority of the time, and I don't feel comfortable letting my daughter bathe in her bath tub when we visit because of all the bacteria that might be building. I also think that it is the cause of my mom's uterine cancer last year and not getting her pipes replace would only cause a worse illnesses. How do I suggest that she get new pipes? I tried while I was there over the holidays but I think she felt offended like I was nip picking the house, but my husband and I agree they need to be replaced. Any suggestions?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Her pipes didn't cause her cancer... that's just rediculous.
    If you've told her once that in your opinion she needs to replace the pipes, then you've already told her... and she either doesn't want to have it done, or she can't afford to have it done.
    When you go to visit, either bring/buy a huge bottle of clorox clean up/409 etc and clean the tub (which I'd do with anyone's tub other than my own) before bathing you or your child/ren or stay in a hotel.
    I'm sorry but the thing about the cancer just really bothered me. Cancer isn't caused from any form of uncleanliness other than sleeping around and getting a HPV that leads to cervical/utural/vaginal cancer that is a silent deadly killer. I hope you didn't tell her that because that's the same as blaming her for her getting sick.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 4:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Pour salt, baking soday and vinegar in the drains, followed by boiling water. Do this every day for a week.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Replace them for her as a gift. Tell her you just worry about her health and feel they need to be replaced. See if the govt has some grants for getting new pipes. I know they have them for new energy efficient windows and other improvements. Not sure about pipes.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I really like admckenzie's answer! Otherwise, the only way to handle this is to be direct. Tell her it's cuz you love her, not because you are picking on her.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2010