My 3yr old son just loves to drink juice( it's more water than juice, but shhh don't tell him that) I try to limit his intake of it, but when I tell him "No" he will go in the fridge and start helping himself! I have tried fridge locks they don't work for me at all how do I keep him out of the fridge? I've told him he needs to ask when he wants something from the fridge, but he refuses to take no for an answer what should I do??

jsimonds220

Asked by jsimonds220 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If it is that bad then I would take it and throw it away and tell him if he can not ask for it then he can not have it at all. I would wait a week and then buy it again and when he goes to get something ask him if he wants you to throw it away? DOnt let him run you!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stop putting the juice in the fridge. If he tries to get it after you have said no I would not let him have anymore for the day. He will quickly learn if you stick to your guns that ...to quote the Rolling Stones... "You can't always get what you want".
    Give him a consequence and stick to it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stop buying the juice; when you water it down, you are essentially giving him sugar water.

When you say no, and he does not listen, he should be (consistently) punished: a time out, his favorite toy in the closet, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• maybe get some organic good juice so u wnt have to worry about all the bad sugar... and no means no!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 7:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'd stop buying juice, period. When he opens the fridge and sees that it's not there, he'll be SOL =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• caitxrawks
    I'd stop buying juice, period. When he opens the fridge and sees that it's not there, he'll be SOL =)

Ditto. If he can't behave, then he doesn't get a privilege. Juice is NOT a necessity. Give him fruit instead.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 8:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stop buying juice. If he can't follow the rules then he gets none. He doesn't need it anyway. My kids only drink water. Juice is a HUGE treat (like ice cream). We rarely ever have it in the house and when we do they get one 6oz cup a day (or 1 juice box depending on how we buy it). Once it's gone, it's gone and we probably won't have more for a few months.
    We do that with all snacks. If I find they are sneaking snacks they are gone and I don't buy more for awhile. They just go without between meals no matter how hungry they are. Eventually they learn to stay out of stuff if they don't have permission.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stop buying juice he doesn't need it actually one of the many reasons so many kids are obese. I would not buy it give him water and I would put him in time out everytime he tries to get in the fridge. He doesn't need to be in there period a his age. Be the mom and don't put up with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stop buying juice all together. It's not worth it and really isn't all that healthy like some want you to think he is better off with real fruit then sugar laden juice even if it is diluted.

If you need to have it around buy smaller single serve bottles. Put 1 bottle in the fridge when it's gone it's gone or pour the juice in an ice cube tray and freeze. When you want him to have juice just drop an ice cube in his cup with water. Maybe make a chart on the fridge with all the servings of milk, water and juice he needs to have in a day. Then mark off with a sticker the ones he has had already. Water is an unlimited option, milk and juice are limited options. You can also try adding slices of fruit to his water instead of giving him juice or use something like Crystal Light if you need to.

If you have a side by side Fridge unit or a Fridge on top Freeze on bottom put the fridge latches on to TOP where he can't reach it.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Don't buy juice anymore. If it's not there, he can't drink it. You also need to get tougher with him. If he won't take "no" for an answer, you have a bigger problem than him drinking juice when he's not supposed to. You're the parent, he's the child. Start acting like it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2010