Gastional Diabetic

Hello I just found out I have Gastional Diabetic. I heard it temporary. Anyway I was wondering any suggestions what drinks, foods to avoid and what foods, drinks okay to have like Diet Coke? I heard artifcale sugars are bad during pregnancy. So I guess any sugar free stuff is bad including sugar free slurpee?

larryandrachel

Asked by larryandrachel at 1:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's gestational diabetes hun...not being rude just might be easier for you to google of you spell it right. I've never had it so I can't help you but I do know that artificial sweeteners are not good for pregnant women or their babies so try not to consume too many "diet" things. Diet pop has no nutritional value so there really isn't a reason to drink it anyways. Water, milk, some juices....you should look it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician. See if they will allow you to carb count instead of insulin. I did that successfully. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Pardon me my spelling, grammars never that great due to my learning disabilties so please dont be saying like I cant be a mom because of my bad spelling, grammars, I got friends who is execellent moms, poor spellers.
    larryandrachel

Answer by larryandrachel at 1:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i had it and i had to stop eating bananas and you still have to eat carbs but a low amount. in the morning i can eat one egg and one slice of whole wheat bread and water. i could have juice but a very small amount. I was on insulin for 1 month. The doctor will send you to a specialist and they will give you a list of what you can eat and you 'll have to monitor your blood sugar several times a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• oh sorry, for dinner i would eat chicken cutlets and loads of veggies, but no corn and salads. it wasnt too bad, except for the no bananas, that was hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Nope like I said I wasn't trying to be rude I just wanted you to be able to look it up with it spelled right :) How you spell or type has no bearing on how good a mom you're gonna be! No way no how!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• She wasn't being rude or saying you won't be a great mom, she was telling you the right spelling so you would have better luck finding more info on gestational diabetes. It's easier to find stuff on google and other places if you have the right spelling. Anyway I agree with both of the previous posters. Look it up, get some info, and talk to your Dr about seeing a dietician. Many women can successfully manage their blood sugars with diet and exercise instead of having to do insulin shots. Did the Dr say anything when s/he told you that you had GD? Give you any ideas about what you can and can't eat or drink?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I am going to see specialist the 13 of December and I am scare of seeing one.
    larryandrachel

Answer by larryandrachel at 2:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have heard great things about going on a vegetarian diet a healthy one and getting rid of gestational diabetes.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Don't be scared! You are simply going to learn how to eat so that the diabetes doesn't have any negative effects on your little baby. If you are worried about understanding everything or remembering, take a notepad maybe so you can write stuff down. I'm sure the specialist will have info for you on hand anyways. I know it's the unknown for you but you can handle it :) It's all for the best for your baby right? And that's all that matters :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2010