Breast Feeding Question!

I am almost 30 weeks with baby #1 and I plan on breastfeeding. My question is : I have never had "erect" nipples. I think thats the best way to describe it, they are pretty flat and always have been. Is it still possible to breast feed when like this? How does the baby latch on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup! get a nipple shield if you have issues.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Trust me the baby will be able to latch and drink milk..
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• mine were the same way you will be suprised hat that baby can do once he or she starts sucking theyll just pop that critter rite out
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 1:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Mine were flat too, I got a breast pump and it pulls them out a bit so they can nurse. It IS very difficult when you are first full of milk and you may want to ask for a pump right away. Talk to your doctor about a lactation consult BEFORE the baby is born. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have very flat nipples and did use a nipple shield with a lactation consultant's advice/guidance. There are different kinds/sizes so be sure to check on what's a good fit and flow rate. I found that pumping also helped bring my nipples out (I rented a hospital grade pump which worked well). CM has some good resources or your local La Leche League may be able to help. Good luck!
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 2:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Nipple shields can help but only if needed! They can cause the baby to not learn properly and thus become dependent on them. Also, I have heard of nipple shields eventually decreasing the supply because the baby gets less milk with them. I do think it varies from situation to situation, but I would ask for a consultation with a lactation consultant or talk to someone at your local La Leche League before giving birth! Good luck!
    wondermeg

Answer by wondermeg at 2:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Talk with your midwife or doc or lactation consultant about possible inverted nipples and they should be able to help you with shields and a pump BEFORE the baby comes. Try not to use the shields after the baby is born, but before to pull the nipples out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There are methods to help pull the nipple out and shells you can use beforehand to help as well. I agree with aeneva not to use the shields while baby nurses unless absolutely needed because baby really does need to learn to nurse at the breast. Shields can cause poor milk transfer, low weight gain, low supply and plugged ducts. Best to avoid unless there is really no other way.
    Check out this site: http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/invertednipples.html

Anyway... while it's great to be prepared with this info up-front, don't doubt your ability to just birth baby and latch right on. It CAN happen, so go in confident that you can do it... get baby latching ASAP after birth and only worry about all the rest unless there is a problem. You can try the shells and hoffman technique now... but don't let it discourage you or become an annoyance.

Go to an LLL meeting and see an IBCLC now. Join the Breastfeeding moms group.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2010