My baby still doesn't have her teeth yet but soon (she is 7 months old), I was wondering about biting what do you do when they bite, from breastfeeding so they dont do it again?!?!

I am so afraid of this, any advice!! Please and Thank you !!!!

Leilany1019

Asked by Leilany1019 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • When my kids were teething, I would keep a finger very close to the edge of their mouth. If they were starting to clamp down, stick your finger into the mouth between the gums and break suction. Then find something else for them to chew and say, don't bite mommy. I did get bitten a couple times and was fine. But for the most part they did understand I would not nurse them if they bit me. DO NOT GIVE IN ON THIS.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I posted it also here because I didnt think anybody could see it in the other post.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I figured, but I didn't know if you went back to the other one. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• yes..lol sorry!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Oh, and you might try taking her off just a minute before she may be ready. Break the suction gently and take her off. They tend to clamp down at the end when they are done. They are just "teething" on you then.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My husbands aunt told me that when she was nursing her kids and they tried to bite her that her dr recommended a gentle thump on the cheek to get their attention and distract them from doing it again, not sure if it works, so far I haven't been really bitten as my LO has no teeth, but she swears by it.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 2:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son was biting too but we got through it. I had been doing the stern no and placing him on the floor than walking away. I thought I was doing it the right way but I wasn't, he keep biting. In tears I called my mom (who nursed 6 kids) she said I needed to do it differently. She said to make sure to do the no walk away thing EVERY time he bites. I sometimes didn't if he was almost asleep. And don't let the baby see your face when you say no and walk away. Your baby is looking at you for reassurance and to see if they can get away with what they did. After the walk away give it a little time then go back and make up. You can even try nursing again. But if baby bites again that's it for that feeding. My little guy had to learn to fall asleep with rocking not nursing. My mom said it would all be better in a couple sessions. He actually took 2 days. (I have 3 children, only 1 ever bite me)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'm anon 2:21. Anyway the only reason I think it took 2 days was because I din't use my mom's technique right from the begining. And again only 1 of my 3 children ever tried bitting me. u may get lucky!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• This is my second child but first one to breastfeed because in the hospital they give her a bottle, since my baby was born at home I took the advantage and breastfeed bad part nobody tells you how much it hurts, so i got afraid of biting ...i know a tattoo is worse but still. Wow I dont think i could do that, but i guess thats why they call it tough love! But i thank you for the advice and its help and gives me different methods to choice from thanks moms..lol !!!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 2:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• With my kids a lady at an LLL meeting told me to pull them INTO your breast so they can't breath long enough for them to let go and scream at the top of your lungs even if it doesn't really hurt that bad and sit them down. They associate something bad (not being able to breath and nurse) happening to them and with my first I did that once and he bit no more and nursed until he was 18 months old, my second is still nursing at 29 months and she bit 3 times of me doing that and then no more. The pain of breastfeeding should subside around a month or so and if it doesn't then you need to get the latch and hold evaluated by a lactation consultant.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2010