For overweight women - How hard was it for you, carrying a child?

I'm currently overweight and wondering what it would be like if I got pregnant while heavy. I'm trying to lose weight (I've lost 30 lbs so far), but I still have 20 to 40 to go before I'm at a good point. I'm healthy and have no outstanding health problems, other than my weight. Would carrying a baby be a bad experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No. I was overweight with my first and am more overweight with my second. The weight really isn't the issue in pregnancy it is the pushing and pulling of the uterus and where the baby rubs, even skinny women have pregnancy woes.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I had two very easy pregnancies and one that was hard. I weighed about 195 with the first and it was easy, about 210 with the second- Hardest and about 225 with the third- easy.
    I don't think my hard pregnancy had anything to do with being big, I think it was just a hard pregnancy. I know MANY skinny girls who had much harder pregnancies than I did.
    Good Luck to you when you do start TTC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I've heard all pregnancies are different, so you just never know how your body is going to react (whether skinny or overweight). I was 209lbs when I found out I was pregnant, & 248lbs when I had my son. My pregnancy wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard due to weight. As long as you're healthy you should be fine (unhealthy overweight women are more prone to high blood pressure & gestational diabetes).
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i was overweight, and i didnt find it hard. the hardest part i remember was when i was only 5 months, cuz it was christmas time, and i remember walking thru those malls, with such a backache...but..after that i never had problems. one of my overweight friends said that when she was pregnant she never really felt the baby move, so she had to go to the hospital weekly for fetal heart monitoring, just to make sure everything was normal..i felt my baby move tho..i dunno, hard to say, every pregnancy is different!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I was overweight with each of my kids (starting at 195, 220, 235, 240 and 240 with each pregnancy). I think the only thing my weight effected was my legs. Once I get over 250 my knees really start to hurt and I ended up with plantar faciitis once (which is a really painful foot problem) but that was after having my 3rd child and getting up to 260. Once I lost 15lbs the pain went away.
    All my other pregnancy pains were because of other issues with my body like the fact my pelvis is somehow misshapen or screwed up. Once my ligaments loosened up my hips started dislocating (which is very painful) but that would have happened no matter how much I weighed.
    With my first I felt great most of the pregnancy until the very end (I got up to about 230lbs with her).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I was slightly overweight with Baby #1, and very overweight with Baby #2. With Baby #1, it was slightly hard to walk and keep up with Hubby (he has long legs and is a foot taller than me!), I'd get out of breath fast but that was it. She was a VERY easy pregnancy!
    Baby #2 was.. eh.. not as good. I was always sleepy (but then, our toddler was waking us up all hours of the night and kept me nice 'n stressed out during the day). I think my not getting enough sleep and the fact that he was a pound heavier than the first was what made it harder. I was also sadder because of my weight but thats it. No real problems due to being overweight :)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'm currently 6 ft 2 inches.. and 24 weeks pregnant. pre pregnancy I was about 289.. and am currently 292.. so not a bad gain for 6 months! :) I have never really exercised, nor have i heaten healthy.. but the day i found out i was pregnant, ( at about 3 weeks) i started right up on prenatals and eating VERY healthy... in the first trimester i was dizzy and lightheaded all the time.. and my asthma seemed to flare up a bit.. but now im doing just fine and couldnt feel better! and as far as feeling baby, oh my goodness can i feel her! she is sooo active, and i have a pretty thick waist.. as in quite a bit of fat on my stomach, and you can see/feel kicks and punches just fine on the outside.. if you are in good health, i would say just start eating healthy now, and taking vitamins while TTC! good luck and dont stress!
    SammiStar

Answer by SammiStar at 6:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• of course everyone is different and there are risks, but i've had no issues carrying children. i've had 2 and am very overweight. my kids are skinny and lanky and both in the 50% for their weight and 95% for height.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It depend on how you carry. I am overweight-not sure how much, but when I got preg with all three of mine almost 3yrs in between each, I never showed. I remember with each preg the nurses would ask why I was in the hosptial-and with each I would loose weight anywhere from 15-30lbs per pregnancy-the dr's were fine with it.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 6:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I was 210 when I got pregnant with my 1st and have a very easy pregnancy and delivery I was 146lbs when I got preg with my 2nd and had a really bad pregnancy I had pre-e/helpps.. this is my 3rd baby and I am due anyday now when I got pregnant this time I was 252 and am now 272 and it is just as easy as my 1st pregnancy was. so no it doesnt matter how small or big you when u get pregnant cause each woman and pregnancy is different..good luck and here is some baby dust for you!!!
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 7:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010