I am 12 wks pregnant and I am sooo congested!!! I see my new OB tomorrow but is there anything I could take?? I can't remember what I did with my past pregnancies and being sick...

GREEKLADYINNJ

Asked by GREEKLADYINNJ at 2:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I sat in the bathroom while hubby took a steaming hot shower to help with my congestion while I was pregnant. You can also get a humitifier, those can help.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have a paper from my Ob that says not to take medicine before 16 weeks. I would use steam, vicks, saline, netti pot, humidifier, shower soothers, facial massage, breathe right strips and lots and lots of fluids to thin the mucus. IF you want I have a list of medicine you can take after 16 weeks. I am sorry I know it sucks but it is what is the best for your baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Nope can't take anything sorry hun. I found the saline drops helped me when I was prego. Wishing you better health!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Tea with honey. THat worked for me quick.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• see my ob said it was ok to take robitussion cf and tylenol sinus but that was it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup; it is fantastic for respiratory infections. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

• I'm in the same boat you are - 12 weeks with an awful cold! What has helped me the most has been a Vicks Vaposteam Humidifier that I've been running all night so I can sleep, and Halls cough drops with mentholyptus. I've also read and been told that you can take Sudafed after 12 weeks, but so close to that cutoff

Answer by missanc at 8:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think you can just take Tylenol Cold. My OB gave me a paper stating all the OTC meds that I could/could not take.
    AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2010