Sylvan learning center

Has anyone used it? Or the other one? I need to find a tutor for my son, for research kind of help. Did anyone have a good experience with the learning centers?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would check out local tutors first. There are some that are wayyyy cheaper than Sylvan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Our SYlvan cost me 85 dollars an jour. I mean my daughter passed the class she was failing in with a low B but I wish I would have researched the area first and possibly used the high school offered tutors. Near a college? Sometimes college kids pimp themselves out as tutors to make money. I also know of an online one that only costs 10 an hour.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Also you can put up an ad, or ask women on here in your area. I was a teacher before I decided to stay home and I know I can do just as well as one of those expensive tutors and charge way way less. You can get a smart highschool kid to do it kids are often better at teaching other kids than adults are. A college student, teachers who will tutor. Look around. Be creative save money.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You can call the public library and they should have a list of #'s or names too.If you have the money I'd totally call the learning center, I think that it's great that you are doing what you need to for your child, so many would rather put up their noses and think their child will get it ;out of laziness on their part, venting a bit because my mother neglected doing this for me.You go mom, take care!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• hey girl, my sister used Sylvan for years to keep her son ( he has a mild form of autism) in regular classes and in the grade he should be in for his age. i dunno, she just felt like he should not have been in the classes their school system recommended. he will be 17 next month and is in the appropriate grade and getting B's and C's so I think it paid off for her. but she paid alot alot of money.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I talked with his teachers, and they kinda looked at me like I was crazy. I guess they figure with extra help he will get it. I mean, I printed off material for him to use for the research. Read it and highlighted the important parts. Told him to read all the material so he'd understand it. It's for a science fair project. And I told him to go back over the highlighted part, and write it down in his own words, as he understands it. I don't know what else I can do. His teacher actually told me that I should write the notes and have him copy exactly what I write. Problem is, the I am doing all the work. AND, she should already know that he copies what he's supposed to, but doesn't really pay attention to what he's writing. We have gone over this before because he copies in his agenda what they have on the board. Homework and such. But he doesn't ACTUALLY get it! And won't ask. So, I'm gonna do what she said to do. cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• But also work with him more, and try to find a local tutor. The kid was on A-B honor roll. His problem is that now it doesn't just come easy to him, he actually has to work at school. So he hates it:( I'll be glad when his dad comes home.
    I also talked with them about his ADHD med getting changed. I was gonna go back to what he was on before, because he could focus a bit better. But that I also wanted to try a new one. They said I should get him on the new one, that they would be able to give feedback right away, versus him being on it all summer, but it not helping in school. So, this afternoon that is what we are doing. They said they are glad I am not giving up with just one med. But he's been on them since he was 3, I never gave up, and I won't. We need to find what works for HIM. I can't just let him fail. It's just really, really hard right now.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• THE LEARNING CENTERS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE USUALLY STAFFED BY TEACHERS LOOKING FOR EXTRA MONEY. IF MONEY IS AN ISSUE I WOULD TRY YOUR LOCAL COLLEGE---COLLEGE STUDENTS ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY AND THEY ARE CLOSER TO SONS AGE
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We used The Huntington Learning Center for our daughter. What a waste of money and undue pressure on my daughter. After going to school all day , then we would drop her off for a few hours three times a week. I would never recommend them. Contact your local schools for help, maybe an honor roll student looking to make a few dollars or even a teacher . We found this worked so much better and my daughter showed so much more improvement.
    darzo

Answer by darzo at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010