Did you teach your child to tie their shoes or did they learn it in school?

My oldest learned it in PreK. I am trying to teach my son before he goes to school, but he just don't have the patients to sit still & learn or even listen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just do it when you can and he can learn it in school best thing is to have him watch you tie yours.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes, I taught both of my girls, 17 and almost 10, to tie their shoes and plan to teach both my boys too, 2.5yr and 1, when they get a bit older. I, however, homeschool so they won't learn it in school. :-D

I don't think I taught my girls to tied their shoes until they were almost 4 though so I think your son not being interested at this point is no big deal. They will learn it when they are ready and until they are ready they always have velcro. ;-)
    aimhighschool

Answer by aimhighschool at 8:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I taught my older two when they were ready. It's a very complicated task that not all kids are ready to learn. My oldest was 6 and in 1st grade. She's 9 now and still can barely tie her shoes because she hates doing it and has only had 1 pair of laced shoes since I taught her.
    I taught my son when he was 7 and in 1st grade. It took him a couple days and he almost had it but was getting so frustrated until I sat him in my lap (which isn't easy because he's huge, lol) and showed him exactly how I do it (the one loop method) and BAM he got it. Now he refuses to have shoes with velcro (he's 8 now).
    My middle daughter is 7 now and no where near ready to learn to tie. She has a hard enough time just getting herself dressed, buttoned, zipped and to hold a pencil correctly. Instead we just buy her shoes without laces.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son it took him far longer than my girls I don't think we should push them to the point that it hurts their feelings so I'd take it slow, so what if you have to get a pair of velcrow another year, if it makes him happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Both of my older kids were in kindergarten when they learned. It took DS far longer to learn. DD decided that she wanted to learn because her brother had finally gotten the hang of it (by 1st grade) and we showed her how. She spent the rest of the day practicing and got it. She is extremely competitive with her older brother.

My youngest is turning 5 and has no interest. It's ok. I have no interest in him knowing knots anyway. It won't be good for the rest of us.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I can already tell I will have a problem with my son. He doesn't usually sit still for very long and pay attention. He's very inquisitive and likes to see, touch, and feeling everything he can. Which usually means that he doesn't sit to be taught much. However, I will teach all of my children at home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• they have velcrow....lol.........
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I tought my kids

Answer by louise2 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• still working on it.

I'm teaching them, but none of them have the patience to sit through it. I did make a couple of pillows that lace up so they can practice. I've learned that they make really AWESOME knots. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• TRIED TO TEACH KIDS TO TIE THEIR SHOES BUT I'M LEFT-HANDED AND THEY WERE RIGHT LOL ALL I DID WAS PROLONG THE PROCESS BUT THANK GOD DH GOT INVOLVED. GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010