Should a 12 month old only get fluids from 16oz milk and 4oz juice a day, or should I be giving her water as well?

Nobody tells me these things O.o

I just don't want to give her water intoxication or something. It's hard to make the transition from a baby diet to a toddler diet.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 14 months and he has 16-20 ounces of milk/day, no juice - if he's thirsty after that, i give him water. Usually that means he drinks about 4-6 ounces of water/day. But I don't let him walk around with a sippy cup either, he drinks at the table only.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Water is better than sugary juice. I believe she can get water intoxication if that is all she has, no food or anything, just water. My boys always got milk at meals, an 8 oz cup and then if they were thirsty through out the day they would get a sippy cup of 3/4 water and 1/4 juice. They are 2 and 3 now and use regular cups but I still dilute their juice as much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• With all my other kids I gave them water, about 8 ounces a day. My baby now (he is 14 months old) gets none, at least by itself. The doctors told me that it was no longer recommended, that if I put some in his juice it was enough.
    klatshaw

Answer by klatshaw at 9:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes I think 4oz. of water 3 times a day is not bad.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I just give water in a sippy cup. If there is a constipation issue, then I give juice. Mine kiddos personally never drank more than about 8oz of water in any given day (that's like 2-4oz) servings at meal time, but I don't think a little more would hurt anything.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son only drinks a Sippy cup in one place, never walks around with it. He gets about 16-20 oz's of milk a day and I give him 3-4 oz's of Grap juice once a week. A child of that age should not get more then 36oz's of milk a day according to my children's pedi. I would go ahead to include should get no more then 36oz's of fluid a day, because more then that just seems overkill.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If my kids were thirsty, they drank. I was not concerned with the actual amount of water, milk or watered down juice they were drinking. Some days they drank less then that recommended amount and other days they drank more. Obviously if it's a hot summer day and we are playing outside they are not going to drink ONLY 4 oz of fluids other than milk. You know with yourself that some days you are not thirsty and other days you just can't get enough to drink. I figured it worked the same for my kids. If they just downed 6 oz of water and are coming back for more because they are thirsty I'm not going to tell them NO because they are over their "limit". So I always said, if they are thirsty, they will drink. If not, no biggie.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• At age one water intoxication shouldn't be an issue unless she chugs and chugs and chugs it. Also, water is much better for her than juice.
    o0laurie.love0o

Answer by o0laurie.love0o at 10:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I rarely gave my kids juice, they got water or milk when they were thirsty. Juice was a treat only
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• water, juice and milk should all be incorporated into their diets....water is the main source of hydration. You should know that it takes a while for them to get used to drinking water....lol
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2010