hi moms tell me what should I do here in this situation?

mother-in-law here is a little strange with me for some unknown reason. She's turned bitter towards me. when I go to her house she ignors me and tries not to say hi to me. when we go to her sister's house as I go over to greet my mother-in-law she turns the other and tries to avoid me. And when she comes to my house and I say hi, she saids hi, but then quickly turns and talks to her son. I asked my husband why is his mom so cold toewards me all of the sudden she's been like this since December.1st. He saids he doesn't know, and he doesn't seem like he wants to get involved.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• If she won't speak to you can you email her or leave her a voice message asking her what the problem is? That way she knows you've recognized there is a problem which is half the battle. If she doesn't respond then just ignore the big baby...but then she's going to blame you for that too! lol I've never had a problem asking people "What's up?"

Answer by admckenzie at 9:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Con't: And know on friday we are going to his aunts house and mother-in-law is going to be there. Shuold I stand clear from her . stay way, ignor her, She doesn't want to talk to me, some advice please Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• His behavior is typical from my experience. I'd say that you offended her somehow, and your best bet is to have a quiet talk with her just you and her and ask about it and say that you would never knowingly hurt her and if you have then you want to apologize. Someone may have told her that you said or did this or that, for example and hurt her feelings, when you did or said nothing of the sort. So you need to clear the air, she is telling you by her behavior that she has taken offense to something you said or did or that someone else said that you said or did.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• The only thing that might have gotten her offened was that I didn't agree with her in an oppion that she and I had. And she started arguing about. She undermines me with my kids all of the sudden. And I told her how mad that made me, and then she got upset with me. Grrr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think avoiding her is not going to help the situation at all. Continue to speak to her and try your best to be nice and eventually she will come around.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Sounds like she is "punishing" you for letting her know you are upset with her about undermining you with your children. She may not perceive the situation like you do, and confronting her with it upset her. You can try talking to her about it, or you can just ignore her and not approach her at all until she approaches you in order to protect yourself from her rejection.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I agree with Anna.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There is no way to know why she behaves the way she does. You can ask her, and maybe you should, but you will need to be prepared for the fact that she likely won't be honest with you about what's eating her. If I were you, I would be friendly and polite, and I would not push the issue. Your husband feels like he is caught in the middle, and he doesn't know what to do about it. So don't even complain to him about it. If she keeps this up, he very likely will eventually see it for himself and then he may decide to speak to her about her behavior. I would concentrate all my energies on my husband, and when at these family gatherings, I would stay very close to him. That way, if she is rude to you, he will have the opportunity to see it for himself, which is always much better than hearing about it from someone else. Love your husband, and forget about how his mother behaves!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Wow! that is strange, instead of asking your hubby ask her...maybe someone said something about you and she is taking it the wrong way the best thing for you to do is ask her and tell her you have noticed a change in her. What did you do to her or is she feeling alright can you help her in any way and go from there and see what happens. I once knew a couple who we used to hang out alot (only the guy was a womanizer) well me and the girl were friends, then all of a sudden she stop talking to me when I called and ask what did I do she just start rambling and yelling but yet I did not ever understand what she said the only thing I can think of was maybe the guy she was with had something to do with it...hmmm...He and my dh at the time hung out so there is no telling what happened. My and the dh at the time are no longer together so the only thing that would make sense to me is the guy must

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• have said something about me to cover both their butts ( dh and him).

If your mom in law is upset with you just bc you stood up for yourself and wants to be this way that is her problem. Just be nice to her and continue to say Hello if she wants to talk fine if not talk to someone else you can take a hint. But always try to be friendly and loving as you've always been :)  It will all work out. GL

As long as you and your dh are happy don't even sweat it.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2010