anyone with kids who have ADHD?

Ok, my son is 9 yrs old, and was diagnosed with ADHD in 2006. Since then we have tried alot of meds, including some with not very safe side effects....long story short, now he isn't on any meds except for bedwetting meds...what ADHD meds have you tried and has anyone done anything as far as a diet for their child? Any advice is helpful!! I am going insane..lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Don't have a kid w/ ADHD but I have to say as a Social Worker who has worked w/ kids across the spectrum of ADHD that if he can manage even slightly w/ out meds he'll be much better off in the long run. You've already experienced the side effects, the longer he takes them the less effective they are bc his body will build up a resistence. Some have found cutting dairy & wheat from their ADHD kid's diet can help. Is he receiving any help from the school? Have you tried behavior modification techniques w/ him? Find what works to motivate him, use lots of postive reinforcement, have somewhere he can go to get his hyperness out (for example if he's having a really hard time concentrating let him go run in the yard for 5 mins then come back & keep trying). Take time for you, you need some alone time, find someone you trust who can watch him while you do something just for you.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son is also 9 and has ADHD. We have done several different meds just because his system gets use to them and eventually they stop working as well. I make sure and give his system a break and dont give him the meds on the weekends or holidays when he is out of school. Also, try to cut sugar out of his diet. This will help a lot. I also agree with a previous post saying to make sure he gets exercise. Sitting around watching tv or playing games is not good for anyone let alone someone with ADHD. We make sure he helps hubby outside and runs off some of that energy. We also have him playing sports.
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 9:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I have a cousin who's son is 12 yrs. old and he was diagnosed with ADHD and when the doctor suggested to put him on meds the mom said no so the other option was to keep him busy like exercising have him into sports and just keep him doing something often. Limit the TV and the video games. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Have you joined/check out the ADHD groups here on cm? They are really great. You will get tons of advice and support.
    The poster at top has the best of intentions and though someone may work w/been around or had friends or realitives w/ADHD,untill you have experienced having a cild w/ADHD you can't fully grasp what life is really like w/and for them.
    I have been told by some don't use meds because they can do more harm than good and on the flippside I have been told by thearpists that its a great idea even helping prevent future use of drugs and alchohol to self medicate(as some will often do). I personally have just stepped up to the plate and done whatever it takes to help my kids. I have two school aged kids~a boy and a girl w/ADHD. I have watched them suffer w/this and I can tell you there is no magic pill. You have to keep changing the plan as you go. GL and ((huggs))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• There may be more than just ADHD going on (there frequently is), so that might be why you haven't had good results with the meds. Has your son been evaluated for sensory integration dysfunction? These kids can often appear extremely hyper b/c they are either seeking or avoiding extra stimulation (and what may appear to be no big deal to us can drive a child with sensory issues absolutely batty). Dietary changes are always a good bet, b/c most kids do consume too much artificial ingredients (colorants, preservatives, flavorings, adulterated "foods" like HFCS, etc.) and some kids have mild sensitivities to things like wheat/gluten, dairy, and soy that show up as inattentiveness, hyperactivity, random sniffles, aches & pains or rashes, irritability, etc. (which is why it is sooo hard to dx food issues in some ppl, b/c the symptoms are often so vague). Supplements like omega-3s, zinc and a good multi are a good idea to try, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• my daughter was a primie twin and told she had adhd. the teachers, doctor, everyone said to medicate--i refused because of the side affects took a lot of time and patience but as time went on she managed to calm down--diet was limited chocolate and sugars, salts----good luck its really hard but if your child can somehow manage without meds its better had a friend whose child is still not off the meds and hes 18. only you know your child and weather or not you chose to medicate is totally up to you. good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Meds should be a last resort. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2010