Working for cash so you can get food stamps

Is it wrong to work for cash so you can still qualify for food stamps or is it a "do what you have to do" situation?
If you agree with that, do you also agree that it is ok for a man to work for cash to avoid paying so much child support?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes - they're both wrong. It's outright lying - not what you want to teach your children!

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I never thought of it that way. I always felt it was wrong to avoid child support however if you can't make enough to cove r your bills food stamps is needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Nope, working for cash is illegal any way you look at it. If you were to get caught, you would owe so much you'd probably lose everything you have. It's not worth the risk. If you work, you do not need food stamps plain and simple... get rid of the cigs, beer, and junk food. Stick to buying only the basics, like us working folk do. You don't see us with cart loads of shit at the grocery store. We cannot afford to stockpile two carts with junk food, steaks and anything else you see food stamp recipients loading their cart with. That's total bull crap. I work, I work hard. When I was single raising two kids, I fought for every last thing I earned, I bought food we could afford, and I also raised my children all while working part-time. So, they just need to get off their lazy asses and get an honest job like the good citizens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• If the goal is to get yourself out of a hole so you don't have to be on any kind of welfare, I see nothing wrong with it. Sometimes being on welfare can be a viscious cycle and people are just doing what they can to get by. As for not wanting to pay child support. I think it's mean to try to get out of taking care of the family you created.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• not everyone on foodstamps is lazy and does cigs,beer and junk food, as for filling up carts did you ever stop to think those pple only get "paid"(dont have better word) one a month and have to stock up on enough to last that long...i know a couple of ppleand respect them for how hard they work every day and do get foodstamps because thier jobs dont pay enough to cover it.....and no they cant get a second job or CPS will take thier kids away....so maybe you should stand outside an HRA office one day and talk to the pple that come out before you bash everyone for what a few do......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You're abusing the system.
    You shouldn't do whatever you can to get a free hand out.
    If you're having trouble paying for what you have with a lagit job, then look into assitence. However, if you're avoiding working a lagit job to be on assitance, then you're abusing the system. Honestly, hard working people who need that extra help aren't getting it because of people like you taking advantage. There is only soo much money out there for these programs and you're wrong by taking it out of a needing family's hands. You clearly are one of the people that another Poster was talking about. You're lazy, and you need to stop finding ways to get something for free and get a real job.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• In case you hadn't noticed most "do what you have to do" situtations are actually justification for doing something you KNOW is wrong. Of course it is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is Illegal adn if the DHS/Welfare office found out they could press charges and it could lead to a federal case.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is criminal is what it is.

Working for cash under the table to avoid losing your Food Stamps is:
    (1) what gives the rest of the ppl who need PA a bad rep
    (2) illegal & if discovered the repercussions could be: repayment of any benefits rec'd to date; fines; loss of PA eligibility for life; and possible jail time
    (3) you're not only defrauding the governement; but you're stealing from each and everyone of those of us who do pay taxes into the system.

I find it very interesting how many women here feel the "ends justify the means"! This is a selfish; arrogant concept that shows the person feels they are more deserving of whatever than others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• food stamp are suppose to help families in need falling below the poverty level, if the person can work for cash than the person can work and do whatever it takes to make it by working---as a parent you are responsible for raising your child and setting an example
    Anonymous