I see all these food stamp, welfare questions.. Please tell me...

are we really such a lazy society that no one wants to work any more, or earn an HONEST living anymore? Is this truly what our country is coming too? I am so scared for this future generation being raised in such a lazy society. Please tell me that not everyone is like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah - I'm surprised at the number of people who are on these programs. My ex and I went through a period when we just had one child when he was only making 17K/year and we weren't on food stamps or even WIC! That being said, when I left my ex and had three kids on my own, I did go on food stamps for about 4-5 months to get on my feet. I think that's what those programs are there for - emergency situations. I don't think they were every meant to be a way of life, but there are a lot of people taking advantage of the system (I'm not bashing anyone who's on these programs, but we all know there are people who abuse the system)

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Well not everyone is lazy in general and not every person on PA is either. Yes some do abuse the system more than we would all like but REAL people fall on hard times and those programs help a lot. I know a few different people IRL who do cheat the system, but for the most part I think people just need a hand up. I know if my family ever fell on hard times I would be very thankful for any assistance we could get to help. 1 bad apple should not ruin the bunch!
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 9:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I don't think it is about not wanting to work, or being dishonest. It's about trying to survive. Many people on welfare work very hard. They just cannot make it on minimum wage. Our country is set up so that if you cannot afford to go to college, or if you are not academically inclined, it is impossible to get a job that earns a living wage. My father supported us by working in a warehouse, loading trucks. My mother was a homemaker for many years, and then was nurses aid in a nursing home. They worked very hard, both of them, and there was a brief period when my father was in the military where we had to accept welfare. It wasn't easy, and we were treated badly. Today, I would not be able to support a family in the jobs that they supported us with. And I'm not talking about living middle class lifestyle here, we were frugal and poor by todays standards.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Not everyone is lazy and on PA. Have you noticed the economy isn't the greatest for a lot of folks? Have you noticed a lot of people have lost their jibs? GAH.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• "Our country is set up so that if you cannot afford to go to college, or if you are not academically inclined, it is impossible to get a job that earns a living wage."

I know several people who didn't go to college who make a VERY good living! My ex didn't go to college, is not an "academic" person, and makes $60K/year as a flight attendant (college degrees are no longer required).

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'm not on Foods Stamps or Welfare but alot of people in my town are. I'm 22, almost 23 and I've worked since about 2 weeks after I turned 16 and I've worked hard for my car that is paid for, and we are now buying a house and get to move in next week. I'd be too embarassed to get on food stamps or anything. My dad is disabled and my mom passed away leaving my 3 younger siblings with my dad so he went and got on Food Stamps and gets a Tea check (not exaclty sure what that is for?) but I've had to go ger him groceries before with his Food Stamp card and it embarasses me just doing that bc I don't want ppl to think I'm the one on welfare.
    We have alot of younger, lazy men and woman in my town and they'd rather sit at home and bum off other people or the government. I grew up not having anything and learned that if you want anything and want nice things then you have to work for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is a sad situation in deed. What makes me angry is that those who have nice cars and things can get food stamps and other help but people like me married with 3 kids but deciding to be a stay at home mom cant get anything.
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 9:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes its Sad. I know a married couple with 2 boys. They live with some others! His day is drinking & going out with other women for Sex. His Kids are in day cCare! They claim they have all kinds of Bills. Which they have no rent or electric bills Etc.. They get like over $680.00 in Food Stamps!! Plus goes to her parents & grandparents and get more hand outs! The DH of the family sometimes works for cash under the table! Big time users! But go to church teach CCD. Etc.. Pillars of the community in her mother's eyes!! What can you do? And down on our luck we get Nothing! But they're living & eating large! It seems the real needy don't get enough! There's so many out there that need it bad & go hungry. Its a pure shame! But no one should go Hungry!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Sadly, many people in the armed services make so little that they qualify for PA programs. PA is a good emergency system for families. What if your house burns down? Or your spouse has an accident? Many working people use those programs. Those working people pay more in taxes than they take out in food stamps, I'm certain.

And college does not mean you get a good job nor make a lot of money. It means you have a degree. Nothing more.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:49 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Excuse me? You're honestly saying that people on assitance are lazy people?
    Way to generalize and offend. That's great that you are fortunate enough to not need any assitance from the government, but not everyone is able to have the same income as you. Yes SOME people are truely that lazy, but not everyone on assitance is lazy. I use WIC and my husband works his ass off every week. We own our own home, never have been on foodstamps or welfare. You need to realize that there are situations where people are limited to the jobs they can get. That they aren't able to have high paying jobs. Regardless of the reason not everyone on assitance is lazy and going to create a crummy breed.

Stop blindly juding people you ignorant fool.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010