For those to have high cholerstol....

my DH levels are extremely high. Takin medicition right now is out of the question because of no insurance etc... so we're doing what we can at home exercising & chaning what we eat. We both need to lose weight anyways but mine will have to wait until May. (pregnant) so he needs to start like yesterday. What are foods that are good? And what doesn't he need?

rebel07

Asked by rebel07 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Health

• Eat foods that do not come in packages. Cook from scratch. It's easy if you think simply. Salads, vegetables, meats, poultry, etc. Stay away from trans fats (these are mostly in prepackaged foods anyway). Walk every day. stay away from sugar and white flour and anything made with corn syrup.
    It is very easy to do: typical breakfast: plain yogurt w/almonds and flax seed and a piece of fruit. Lunch: turkey sandwhich on whole grain bread with a glass of skim milk Dinner: Meat, salad, vegetable, brown rice. OR: In winter, I make a lot of soups that are filling. I use meat as the base for broth and then add lots of veggies and perhaps some rice or barley. It's fun to experiment with. In warm weather I do a lot of stir fries with brown rice or whole grain noodles. I get veggies at local farmers markets in summer. In winter, I buy what is at the grocery store.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• he must have went to doctor to find the high chol. he should talk to doctor he can get some free samples, also doctor can prescribe a higher dose ex he needs 10mg but doctors writes 20mg he can break in half to have prescribe last 2 months its really nothing to mess around with its just too dangerous especially if heart diease and high chol runs in his family. eating more healthy will help but if its really high he needs the meds now. alot of pharmacies offer help through the drug companies for those that have no insurance check these out as well its a phone call to the doctor or pharmacy. no need to work the meds into the budget. good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Have you tried taking natural vitamins that help with cholesterol? The company I work for sells them. My father has very high cholesterol and he decided not to take medication for 2 reasons meds are expensive and he has always taken vitamins. It has proven to work by far and he takes it all the time. Of course he changed the way he ate and he started excersing but that wasn't enough. The product is all natural I mean not bi products in it. If your interested let me know. i would love to help.

Danielle Shellhorn
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2010