How much time did your spouse take off after the birth of your child?

My husband and I are expecting our second child who will join us March 15th via scheduled c-section. I had a c-section with my last one, but my husband was at a different company and the situation was completely different. At this job we are unsure of how much time he should take off! This will come out of his vacation/sick time, they roll it all in one, so any suggestions would be helpful. I cannot for the life of me remember how long I needed to heal and go to doctors appointments and such! Any suggestions are welcomed!

Rebecca727

Asked by Rebecca727 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have had 3 c-sections. My youngest is 2 and when I had her hubby took a week off. It helped so much.
    afisk

Answer by afisk at 9:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• with baby #1 - he took off one week
    baby #2 - only the day of her birth, he was contracting and could've have lost his job
    baby #3 - 2 weeks

I would base your decision on how long he has been there, how many days he has and how many you want to have for the rest of the year.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My 4th was born via csection on a Thursday. My dh took off Thursday, Friday, and Monday (he's off on the weekend anyway). I have 3 older kids and my dh got them up and off to school every day for the next couple of weeks before he left for work and then I had a babysitter come by in the afternoons when they got home from school until my dh got off of work. My mother and/or MIL would come by during the day just to check on me and the baby, but it wasn't really necessary. But I couldn't drive for 6 weeks, so they took me anywhere I needed to go (dr appointments, shopping, etc)

Answer by missanc at 9:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• With our first he took off for 2 weeks.
    With our second he took off for 3 and half weeks.
    When we have a third he will take off for 4 and half weeks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would say a week , is there anyone else that you could get to come over during the day to help you out.I didnt have to have a c-section so I dont know how long it takes to be able to get up and about. All three of mine were natural and for our first he took off a week and the secong one was born on a wed night at 12 am thursday morning so he took thursday friday off and had the weekend off. and our third baby was born on a thursday so he took thusday and friday off and head the weekend off.
    congras on the new baby, hope all goes well
    Mamato2angels

Answer by Mamato2angels at 9:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• With our first, he ended up just taking his vacation that week. With our second, I was induced so my parents came and stayed with our son while I was in the hospital delivering and he took off that day then went back to work the next day. DH took off again the day my parents went home, the day after DD and I were released, so he was with us for the last three days of that week, the weekend and then he went back to his regular schedule the next Monday.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My husband took off 2 weeks.. This one I think will be eithe 1 or 2 but not less than 1 lol :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• my husband took 3 days pretty much while i was in the hospital and the day we came home given it wasnt a c-section and i had help from my family we couldnt afford him to miss anymore work either way if i had help or not gotta buy those diapers lol
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 10:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My SO took off 3 wks when our dd was born. Thank god he was amazingly helpful!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 10:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I was lucky, my husband is a teacher and our son was born in the beginning of August so we had a whole month before he went back to work!

I would advise for at least a week maybe two - but really I was fine to care for myself after a few days.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2010