anyone have/have had a full term baby in the NICU?

my son was born a healthly 8 lbs 13 oz...
He was a surprise footling breach and had asperated meconium at delivery. we took him to the hospital after birth where they put him on a ventilator that colapsed his lung...2 transfers later, he is currently in the NICU, and was just taken off the ECMO bypass...and we are waiting for him to breathe without the resperator.

all the rest of the babies here are preemies. and none as severe.

do/did any moms out there go through this? how did your babies do? I'm scared that even though he was full term..he isnt going to make it through this without serious problems

kiwigoddess

Asked by kiwigoddess at 9:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My firsborn had to go into the NICU. He was 8 lbs, 9 oz but the cord was wrapped around his neck at birth and he got stuck in the birth canal - he was blue when they finally got him out and he had shoulder dystocia - they had to break his shoulder to get him out of me. It always amazed me, because he was twice as big as most of the other babies in there.
    So - I didn't go through the exact same thing as you, but he was in the NICU as a full term baby. He was in there only 4 days and today he's surprisingly healthy (he has autism, but I don't think that's related at all). Good luck with your baby, I hope he gets better soon!

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• a good friend of mine had an almost word for word similar experience. her daughter is now 3, lively, healthy and breathes perfectly. it's frightening to be having to go throught that with a full term baby, any baby for that matter.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope everything works out ok. Good luck you both you and your little one. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Anonymous

• My 3rd daughter was in the Nicu. She was the only full term baby there. She had a rare lung infection and pneumonia. She spent 14 days total in the hospital and is now a HEALTHY 4 year old. She's rarely sick...hasn't even ever had an ear infection. Just because your baby is ill now doesnt mean that they will always have trouble. Hang in there mama! (hugs)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 1:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Oh and she was on oxygen for the first 8 days of her life. She also had trouble breathing. If you ever feel like talking mama, feel free to send me a messages. Hugs and prayers!
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 1:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010