8 month old wont sleep I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

My 8 month old son was amazing for the first 4 months, he was sleeping 8-10 hours straight! I LOVED it!! now that I am back to work it has slowly gotten worse, now he is up about every hour and wants to nurse every time he is up!!! I feel like a zombie every day. I tried the letting him cry it out but he went into a screaming fit like he was dieing and it broke my heart! Any tips, suggestions that you have tried and have worked?! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

misssababe1128

Asked by misssababe1128 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him cry it out. Cut back slowly on the feedings. Maybe try pumping, using a bottle.
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 9:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Don't worry, it will fall into place.

The baby senses you are not around as much, and misses you. I went through the same thing, you have to stay strong, and eventually, the baby will get use to it and adjust. It might take a week or two, but the baby should get use to it.

Teach them young, as long as they are not hurt, wet, or hungry-then you are doing a wonderful job don't feel Guilty, that is what gets you and trust me when they are older you will regret it.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• He misses you, the routine has changed, and he might be reverse cycling (not wanting much food in the day, preferring to wait for you.). You got exceedingly fortunate with the 8-10 hours of your sleep being uninterrupted. It will change again as new milstones are reached or something drastic changes like you going to work. go to.: http://www.kellymom.com/  for lots of help on night feedings and working while nursing.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Oh, i would never cry it out. There are still gentle things you can try and the baby needs time to adjust.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Sounds like he misses you and is trying to reverse cycle... are you co-sleeping? That's your first step. Then he will get a good solid 8 hours straight of contact with you, you can nurse as much as he wants and not disturb your sleep too much.

All-in-all, it's really kinda normal for the age whether mom goes back to work or not. They become busy during the day and make-up feedings at night. It might be just a little worse because of the sudden change... but he may have done this anyway.

Just co-sleep and hang in there... it will pass. Right now he just needs you, he'll get over it and calm down.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We kind of co-sleep. He slept in his crib for I think 2 weeks and then refused to. So we co-clept for awhile and then moved him to the pack n play beside our bed. He did fine in there, he did the 10 hrs in there, now he starts out in the pack n play n after I think the 2nd time he wakes I end up giving in and letting him sleep with us.
    I hate tryin the crying it out thing cause I feel terrible letting him cry esp. when he throws at tantrum and screams! And he says Mama now so that just breaks my heart to hear him cry mama and not do anything but tell him its bed time n rub hs tummy...its just really hard.
    misssababe1128

Answer by misssababe1128 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Co-sleeping saved my life.

ALSO...dump that which is not needed for survival for a while. It'll give you more down time.

That 8-10 hours sleeping thing was bound to end ANYWAY...that's the "good" news. He's NORMAL. They change sleep patterns FREQUENTLY.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• He probably going through a growth spurt and is hungry. Not feeding him is cruel.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2010