RUDE OPERATOR! Can I do anything?

There is a gov't institution that I do business with. Every single time I call and speak to the operator, she is rude, crass, and short with me. She sighs heavily, speaks to me as if I am five years old, and cuts me off mid-sentence. What can I do to complain about this bitch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ask to speak with her manager.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Good luck on that one. I used to think it had on the application for receptionist/operator govt jobs Can you be rude and disrespectful to people? If someone answered "yes" they were hired on the spot! (ok, that was a joke so govt workers don't attack me). I'd call and ask for the Personnel Director. I'm one that starts and the top and lets it trickle down. It gets attention of more than just the immediate supervisor and it can't be ignored if it starts at the top.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Be short with her and maybe she will feel you are kindred souls. Maybe she thinks being nice is the same thing as wasting time. Maybe she thinks she is being efficient. Just give her the extension you want to talk to and keep it moving. She probably has three other lines ringing.  They probably pay her minimum wage and make her get coverage for her phones in order to go to the bathroom.  Not a pleasant job.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I don't think there is much you can do. I used to have to call up SSA and DSS pretty frequently in my old job. They really don't respond to complaints because a big part of their job is telling people things they don't want to hear anyway. I usually would find an operator that was nice and just get her direct number so that I could call straight to that person next time, or try my darnedest to catch some flies with honey every chance I got. I know it's hard when they are rude before you even speak... but it was my best solution.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2010