Disciplining my 5 year old. Please help.

I cannot figure out a punishment that works for my son. I tell him to do something and he just stands there with his arms crossed and a dirty look on his face. Getting him in timeout is such a battle (he will run and hide), he doesn't care if I take things away from him (he goes so far as to offer things up for me to take), and spanking does not work for us. Right now I'm trying the "ignore him" approach because I know at his age he likes to feed off of attention but he will sit there and make obnoxious sounds so I feel like he is winning this battle. Any advice because I am out of ideas? Thanks ladies. FYI: My son just turned 5.

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do the time out. He hates it so it will work. The more he fights the longer he stays in. I have a timer for Tris and he was just like that when he was 5. I had to catch him and wrestle him into the timeout spot. He had to sit cross legged with hands in lap. Started out with two minutes. Everytime he moved I added a minute to the timer. He got the point really fast. Only twice was he in time out for 15 min.
    tristansmom74

Answer by tristansmom74 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would keep trying the time out. When he runs go after him. Take him back without saying anything. When you do this have a timer sit with 1 min of his age. So five mins for him. When you sit him down. Explain that he can not get off till the timer goes off and for every time he gets off and has to be put back in time out it will start over. It might be a lot of work at first for you but I really think before you know it he will be sitting there those 5 mins. He needs to know that you are in charge and mean business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Take a look at the book "Creative Corrections" - it sure helped make my life more peaceful!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• OMG that's how my son is...he turns five in February!!! He doesnt get in trouble often (thank god) but he does not take discipline at all!!! He's been scolded, punished and had his toys taken away and it really doesn't do much. So now my fiancee has him stand and stare at the wall, and depending on what the "crime" was will depend on the punishment. Either he'll stand and face the walls, hands at his sides or my fiancee will have him run touch the wall, come back, run touch the wall, come back.......Or he'll tell him to lay down on his back and stick up his arms and legs. My fiancee is in the military so he says he'll either be good or he'll get real strong...LOL....it works in addition to taking toys and not allowing them have their way. In my home my boys will not be able to play, have snacks, or watch tv for the day if they have been doing bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2010