I am 23 years old and 10 weeks pregnant with twins... not sure if my doctor is doing things right or if I should change doctors.. maybe I am just being too irrational.

I had complications with my first pregnancy at 12 weeks, leaking amniotic fluid and almost lost my son but he was born fine at 39 weeks. I am now 10 weeks pregnant with twins. Found out they were twins at the ER when I was having pains in my chest, found out it was an inflammation of the lining of my lungs. I had an ultrasound at the hospital that confirmed twins. I am now going to the OB every other week for a check up. My doctor has not let me hear the heartbeat yet stating it is too early. He did do one other ultrasound, but just to show my boyfriend that it is, in fact, twins since he was not able to see when I was in the ER because only the patient is allowed in that room. The doctor did not do any measurements. Just put me on more iron. I have pains in my stomach alot, like cramps and HORRIBLE back pain that cannot be described! I am not gaining any weight,actually losing it even though I eat ALOT. I need advice! Thanks

kadensmommy1026

Asked by kadensmommy1026 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you don't have confidence in your doctor then by all means change. The iron might be causing the stomach problems

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You should be comfortable with your OB. This is a crucial time in your life and you do not need the added stress. Switch if you feel you should, sometimes if your asking yourself the question you alread know that asnwer. And I agree with admckenzie too much iron can cause stomach issues perhaps get a second opinion.
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would switch. I went to my first check up when I was 9 weeks pregnant and I got to hear the heartbeat and my Dr. did an ultrasound. If you are asking for it, he should be doing it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Change doctors if you do not feel comfortable with your current doctor

Answer by louise2 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Thank you all for the help. When I was pregnant with my son, I heard his heartbeat at 6 weeks. My doctor now says that you cannot hear heartbeats until 10 weeks. I told him about hearing my sons at 6 weeks and he just said to wait. I go to the doctor today and I dont want to make a big fuss about it or seem like I am being too controlling, but everything I read online states that with a multiple pregnancy, I should be getting ultrasounds every 2 weeks and hearing the heartbeats then too so that we can continuously make sure everything is going right. My nerves are so crazy because I am sooo excited about these babies coming and I just dont want something bad to happen, especially due to lack of care from my doctor.
    kadensmommy1026

Answer by kadensmommy1026 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I dont' think your doctor is doing anything wrong at all, not much can be done before the 12th week. BUT if you aren't comfortable with your OB then switch
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• At ten weeks, they aren't letting you listen to the heart beats because you can't hear it yet on the doppler.
    It is good that he did another ultrasound, for his records.

The fact that you are going in every two weeks is fantastic. Many twin pregnancies, including my own, I only started going bi-weekly after 32 weeks, then weekly at 36.

If by measurements, you are referring to fundal height, it isn't necessary this early, but he should be weighing you at each visit.

Did he check your iron before putting you on more iron? If not, this would be my only concern. Too much iron can cause many mild, and a few serious side effects.

It is normal to not gain much weight in this stage, especially if you have morning sickness.

That all being said, if you are not confident or uncomfortable with your health provider after you should find a new one ASAP, as you may have trouble finding someone if you wait until later.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I switched doctors at 30 weeks because I did not feel comfortable with her any longer. Sometimes you can't hear the heartbeat on doppler until 12 weeks but on an ultrasound there should be at least a visual and if its a transvaginal u/s, it should be audible. Good luck and congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• He did check my iron levels at my first appt with him. Then a week later I went to the ER and found out I was having twins. He said that since I am pregnant with twins, I will need to take more iron. As far as the weight gain goes, I didnt have any morning sickness with this pregnancy... I had a little nausea but nothing much. And I eat like crazy!!! He didnt really do an ultrasound for his own records. He just pulled the machine up really quickly and showed both babies to my boyfriend. That was it.
    kadensmommy1026

Answer by kadensmommy1026 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My main concern here is that I am 10 weeks, and from what I am told, these weeks are the most crucial for twin pregnancies, or any pregnancy for that matter, and I feel like my doctor should be monitoring it more closely to make sure things are going the way they are supposed to go. I dont see how feeling my stomach every 2 weeks and peeing in a cup every 2 weeks will be able to safely monitor the development of my babies. You know??
    kadensmommy1026

Answer by kadensmommy1026 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2010