red wine!

I was wondering if any of you have drank a glass of red wine while pregnant? Is it safe??

nataliewaggoner

Asked by nataliewaggoner at 10:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I heard that if you had a glass every now and than after the 5th month than its not harmful. Im sure one glass isn't going to hurt your baby. BUT since drinking wine isn't a necessity I just never did.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I did with my youngest in my last trimester, just a half glass of wine, I wasn't worried
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I would NOT drink any alcohol while pregnant. It is just irresponsible because even though people will tell you "I did and my baby turned out fine" there are also people who did whose babies did NOT turn out fine.
    Why risk it? Its not like you NEED wine? You made a committment to that baby to take the best care of him/her possible...starting NOW.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• yes, an occasional glass of wine is fine- not a bottle.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I guess I just thought that I would never give my baby a drink after it was born so why would I while pregnant. I will let it decide to drink or not when it is old enough to decide for itself. And it better be 21! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• jenellemarie~ numerous studies have proven the safety of small amounts of alcohol during pregnancy, FAS only occurs when the mother is an ALCOHOLIC, not when a single glass of wine is taken on occasion- or hell, a single beer for that matter... *sigh*

I am so glad that you did what was right for YOU, and no, wine isn't NECESSARY, but one glass isn't going to cause downs either. chill pill? anyone?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• People also tend to forget about greater risks out there, hell just getting in your car to go to the store can be deadly, but people like to pick and choose I guess
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Thank yall for yalls answers!! I dont really drink a lot anyways ...I have heard of people doing it and I just wanted some other peoples inputs!!! I don't NEED it it just helps me relax!!
    nataliewaggoner

Answer by nataliewaggoner at 11:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• No - I would never drink while pregnant. It's only 9 short months and studies have shown that NO amount of alcohol is completely safe.

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I didn't drink while pregnant, even though my idiot doctor TOLD me to try and drink a glass of red wine with my dinner to "settle my nerves" I wasn't nervous, I had hyperemesis! I didn't anyway, because the one time I tried, the very smell of it made me puke harder!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2010