time-out question. how stubborn was your baby??

ok so i have a 19 month old terrorist lol and his time outs are like a war zone. he refuses to sit for the 2 minutes that i sit him for and cries and throws hell tantrums the whole time while trying to get up and run away. one day a 2 minute time out took ave 40 to complete (of course nanny jo says reset the clock if they get up) so is that like really abnormal or is he not the only one that can throw a good fit! lol

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I only give my daughter time out after I warned her one time and took her away from the situation. But if she still does it (for example when she gets mad she throw.... after a warning straight into time out) I take her into another room (she is usually screaming) I say time out time. She will NOT stay in time out so me or my bf usually end up having to hold her down. I know that sounds horrible, but that is how she is going to learn to stay seated I believe. Than after her time out is done I pick her up and say for example "We don't throw things when we are mad thats why you went in time out." and than I give her a kiss and hug and than she usually, but not always doesn't do what she was doing. Good luck!! The terrible 2 are HORRIBLE lol. They are just bascailly seeing how far they can push you and see what they can get away with.
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think that's way too young to understand what you want from them. I wouldn't do time out until the child is older. Give an example of what he does that requires a timeout so maybe we can give you some more effective ideas.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Stay consistent and be persistent momma! My DD has been taking T.O.'s since she was about 17 mos. It wasn't easy, but now I only have to mention TO and she discontinues the negative behavior. If he gets up, simply return him to the designated T.O. spot and say, "Your T.O. will begin when you sit quietly". Of course it will take some time and alot of energy from you, but eventually it will be effective :-)   Good luck!

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• well like i said he is 19 months and it would be different if he didnt know what he was doing. but he knows what he is doing, he knows this because we tell him not to do the same stuff all day everyday. (climbing on the kitchen table, knocking over the gate, pulling his sisters hair, pulling the cords out of the dvd player....the list could go on for days and he is old enough to understand but he is very stubborn and wants out lol!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• At 19 months, he may not have the attention span for time out. I'd recommend sitting with him and holding him still for the time out and slowly build to having him stay by himself. This is a very new concept for him and sitting, when mad, is hard for a toddler. Even at the day care I worked out, most of the kids really didn't get the idea of time out until they were 2. Before that we would hold them in our laps and not let them play with whatever it was they wanted.
    Anonymous

• One more thought. One thing I do that with my daughter is take away her body part. So if she hits or throws, she loses the use of her hand. I hold them by her body and don't let her move them. She hates it, but it's effective. And it's only for about a minute. If she kicks, I take her feet away and make her sit and not move her legs. TIme out doesn't really phase her, but losing that control really gets her.
    Anonymous