If the War On Drugs isn't working, what do you suggest should be done about illegal substances?

Do u think people should just be allowed to do whatever they want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, because some people can handle their drugs and some people cant. For example have you ever watched cocaine cowboys? Thats an example of people not handling their drugs. I know some people that smoke and occasional does a line but its not a habbit and they dont go broke or become a prostitute to pay for the drugs. I dont know what to do about it. I guess harsher consequences. It seems like we are letting alot of people out of jail.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• God no people should not just be allowed to do whatever they want. What is truly frightening is that the people answering these drug questions in favor of this garbage being legal or saying some people can handle their drugs, have children. All I can wonder about is how many moms on here are pot smokers, cocaine snorters and how many shoot up. What should be done is burning every field in the world that produces that crap. Terrorism would not be so easily funded, Afghanistan would be out of business, a lot of crime would not happen if people actually were punished and not just slapped on the wrist repeatedly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Lol, so by not making them legal this stops drug addicts including parents who are addicted from getting them, right? I think that some drugs should definitely remain illegal, but I do think there are some that should be legalized. Marijuana as well as MDMA IMO should be legalized. MDMA in its pure form has been found to be less harmful than alcohol, and as most people know by now so is marijuana.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I am for legalizing and regulating the crap out of it and exposing our children to what it is REALLY like. D.A.R.E. sucks and I remember a cartoon depiction of dancing glue bottles. How about we take our kids into a video of what it's like in an opium den or crack house? Where people are throwing up, pissing on themselves? Where they haven't showered, etc. etc.? Im thinking that that would do a hellov a lot more then our current D.A.R.E. program.
    The thing is....the war on drugs is NOT working. People are doing drugs ANYWAYS. Drugs are entering the States ANYWAYS. But instaed of profiting off of it like we do with tobacco or liquer we are spending money on it. Tax the crap ot of it. Enforce laws about public intoxication, inablility to be around minors when on the crap. Take the thrill out of doing it for the kids so they don't want to try it.

Oh yeah, and I don't do drugs, and wouldnt if they were legalized.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Yes actually I do.

Look if you can't handle drugs; don't do them. This idea we have that we put people who harm only themselves in jail is absurd. What next; we'll make trans-fat illegal and then anyone who stock piles Crisco to make fries with will be sent to jail too?

Leave the laws about DUI/DWI in place; leave laws about selling any substance to minors in place. Otherwise let consenting adults do whatever they like as long as they aren't harming anyone else.

How many times in this country will we try prohibition before we realize it doesn't work? Abortions were prohibited by law; ppl still got them and the law was repealed. Alcohol was prohibited by law; it created MORE crime and the law was eventually repealed. Why would you think drug prohibition would be different?

I'm too lazy to go look up actual statistics; but I'd bet that if we repealed many of the drug laws, crime would decrease by a min. 40%.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• NO they should remain illegal. How do you know it would decrease 40% ? Why, just because someone said oh I predict? There is no real way to know what MIGHT happen. For the ones that say "tax" it and "regulate" it. How do you think they will when people already do it without people knowing? I mean you really think they will say ya ok tax me so I can get high?

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Anon who said: "What is truly frightening is that the people answering these drug questions in favor of this garbage being legal or saying some people can handle their drugs, have children. All I can wonder about is how many moms on here are pot smokers, cocaine snorters and how many shoot up"

Way to make ass-u-mptions! I am none of those things; but I am sick and tired of my tax dollars being wasted on a 'war' that can never be won. Use common sense and logic and you wouldn't look so foolish.
    Anonymous

• MrsOwen
    I admitted I didn't have actual statistics that was an off the top of my head guess; but if I weren't feeling so lazy today I would go look up the crime decline following the repeal of alcohol prohibition for an indicator of crime decline after the repeal of drug prohibition; which will give you a pretty good idea. No of course no one owns a crystal ball and can predict the future but you can make rational educated guesses based on historical data.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• but I am sick and tired of my tax dollars being wasted on a 'war' that can never be won.

FYI that is just about every war.
    I agree with how many post about smoking pot I would not be shocked to see how many do something harder.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• beachmamaof2

Got ya I wasnt trying to be mean towards you. I just hate how people say "OH I THINK" and then use it as fact ya know.
    Mrs.Owen86